General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
I’m sure you’re all sick of me asking about Macfarlanes every other day on the forum but for once I bring some good news.

I just got offered a training contract!!

What a journey.
A massive congratulations!!

I was just wondering whether you have any idea on whether they have filled all their TC places or will have any other ACs coming up?

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
A massive congratulations!!

I was just wondering whether you have any idea on whether they have filled all their TC places or will have any other ACs coming up?

I have a feeling that was their last AC. I know they do two direct TC ACs a year and they had one in April/May and then one this week. But they did say to me that if they couldn’t fill the spaces from this AC then they would do another one but I’m not sure how many spaces they had to fill.

Reactions: Lawbour

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
I have a feeling that was their last AC. I know they do two direct TC ACs a year and they had one in April/May and then one this week. But they did say to me that if they couldn’t fill the spaces from this AC then they would do another one but I’m not sure how many spaces they had to fill.

Ahh right, that makes sense. I reckon that was a pfo for me haha.

Honestly a huge congratulations to you!! you deserve it :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist and Samar

L777

Sep 25, 2019
Hi guys

A couple of weeks ago I was offered a training a contract with my dream firm. Even after taking some time off work last week it still hasn’t sunk in!

I haven’t been on TCLA long, nor have I actively posted, but I know that I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in now if it wasn’t for the people on this forum. To the few people I’ve had conversations with on here (you know who you are) - thank you. And to those I haven’t spoken with, thank you, too. From the outside, I’ve been inspired by the sheer selflessness of those who post on this forum. In such a competitive process it’s far too easy to get caught up in the rat race. But TCLA is different. It sounds cliched to say, but, in a year where the world seems more divided than ever, the willingness to help others on this forum has restored my faith in humanity.

And if there’s one thing I’ve learnt about the process, is that these qualities are crucial. Yes, commercial acumen, strong motivations, writing skills etc are important. But what sets you apart? Everyone can practice and polish these skills. In fact, in the later rounds, everyone has these skills. The thing that sets you apart is you. You can set yourself apart.

The qualities I’ve seen on this forum - selflessness, perseverance & resilience, humour etc - are all things law firms are looking for. They are the qualities of someone who anyone would want to work with. And they are an intrinsic part of your own unique personality. At interview, in group assessments, on vacation schemes - don’t forget this! Let your personality shine through. Be yourself.

I think a huge part of the process and being successful is the likability factor. Yes, the assessors are gauging your competence, but they are also working out whether you are someone they want to work with. I think that I was successful because I tried to enjoy the interviews (easier said than done, I know & please don’t think for one minute that I wasn’t a nervous wreck minutes before they started). I tried to break the ice and build a rapport with my humour. Now, I’m not talking ‘Knock Knock’ jokes or your favourite Dad jokes - I’m definitely not advising that. You could perhaps tie in a humorous (but relevant) anecdote into an answer where you’re talking about your experiences/skills/motivations. Of course, try not to go off on a tangent and I understand that, depending on your audience, it can be fine line between Ricky Gervais and the stand up comedian who gets heckled off the stage at your local pub.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you can make your interviewers laugh, or even smile, you’re half way there. You’ve got to make them want to give you an offer. Be yourself, be likeable.

Apologies for the essay! If anyone thinks I can help them in any way, please feel free to drop me a line :)

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Hi guys

A couple of weeks ago I was offered a training a contract with my dream firm. Even after taking some time off work last week it still hasn’t sunk in!

I haven’t been on TCLA long, nor have I actively posted, but I know that I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in now if it wasn’t for the people on this forum. To the few people I’ve had conversations with on here (you know who you are) - thank you. And to those I haven’t spoken with, thank you, too. From the outside, I’ve been inspired by the sheer selflessness of those who post on this forum. In such a competitive process it’s far too easy to get caught up in the rat race. But TCLA is different. It sounds cliched to say, but, in a year where the world seems more divided than ever, the willingness to help others on this forum has restored my faith in humanity.

And if there’s one thing I’ve learnt about the process, is that these qualities are crucial. Yes, commercial acumen, strong motivations, writing skills etc are important. But what sets you apart? Everyone can practice and polish these skills. In fact, in the later rounds, everyone has these skills. The thing that sets you apart is you. You can set yourself apart.

The qualities I’ve seen on this forum - selflessness, perseverance & resilience, humour etc - are all things law firms are looking for. They are the qualities of someone who anyone would want to work with. And they are an intrinsic part of your own unique personality. At interview, in group assessments, on vacation schemes - don’t forget this! Let your personality shine through. Be yourself.

I think a huge part of the process and being successful is the likability factor. Yes, the assessors are gauging your competence, but they are also working out whether you are someone they want to work with. I think that I was successful because I tried to enjoy the interviews (easier said than done, I know & please don’t think for one minute that I wasn’t a nervous wreck minutes before they started). I tried to break the ice and build a rapport with my humour. Now, I’m not talking ‘Knock Knock’ jokes or your favourite Dad jokes - I’m definitely not advising that. You could perhaps tie in a humorous (but relevant) anecdote into an answer where you’re talking about your experiences/skills/motivations. Of course, try not to go off on a tangent and I understand that, depending on your audience, it can be fine line between Ricky Gervais and the stand up comedian who gets heckled off the stage at your local pub.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you can make your interviewers laugh, or even smile, you’re half way there. You’ve got to make them want to give you an offer. Be yourself, be likeable.

Apologies for the essay! If anyone thinks I can help them in any way, please feel free to drop me a line :)
Congratulations!!

h2020

Esteemed Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi guys

That's amazing congrats

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys

This has made my day. Congratulations and I’m so glad you’ve found support within the forum!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys

Huge congratulations and very well said! Hope you've been able to enjoy some celebrations :D

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hey I have a question regarding the A&O application form. I am trying to input my academic qualifications (GCSE's, A-Levels, and University modules) however there is a limit of 25, I've done 11 GCSE's, 4 Alevels and then 13 university modules, so 28, does anyone know if the university modules go in this section? I can't get past this section on the form without inputting the information.

D

Deleted member 5185

Hi guys

This is beautiful, congratulations and thank you for sharing!!

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Hey I have a question regarding the A&O application form. I am trying to input my academic qualifications (GCSE's, A-Levels, and University modules) however there is a limit of 25, I've done 11 GCSE's, 4 Alevels and then 13 university modules, so 28, does anyone know if the university modules go in this section? I can't get past this section on the form without inputting the information.
    There's a separate section on the university page.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there specific modules that US firms like White & Case, Latham & Watkins and Shearman & Sterling want you to undertake for the LPC?

unlikely to be the same if there is. But if you are self funding then not really. It would probably be questioned why if you are wanting to aim for firms like that though, you aren’t selecting modules aligned to what they do as a firm.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Similar to above issue about A&O. I did a six year combined honours undergrad so I studied in excess of 40 university modules - should I email the rest to grad rec or just put in 25?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I hope you are enjoying the weekend!

We are offering a free application review to 3 of our members - all you need to do is head to this thread and reply!

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ee-application-reviews.2584/page-3#post-35909

The deadline is midnight tonight and we will be selecting the three candidates entirely at random

***note that the reviews will not extend to work experience sections but will be for application questions only***

XARA

Esteemed Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    Hi everyone. In the work experience section of the applications for VSs/TCs is there a recommendation to put in volunteering work or is that not appropriate for the work experience section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone. In the work experience section of the applications for VSs/TCs is there a recommendation to put in volunteering work or is that not appropriate for the work experience section?

Volunteering is one of the things that can fall either in work experience or in extra curriculars. How it fits in for one person, might not be how it fits in for the next. Really depends on what you do, how you do it (eg fixed hours vs turning up when you can) and also how you want it to look in your whole application.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.