General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

bel123456

Valued Member
Jan 24, 2020
I would probably add it - there is often a space on app portals for candidates to write supplementary or additional info so I would pop the new grade in there and state the overall grade with it factored in.
So you'd be on for a first (assuming the 69.5 gets rounded up to 70 which is normally the case)? I'd let them know personally
THANKS GUYS! :)

anon1404

Aug 15, 2020
Hiya

You can always ask for your Watson Glaser report from HL. I emailed and asked for mine, saying I wanted to understand where I can improve on the WG test. This was the message I received back:

"Please find attached a copy of your Watson glaser report. Unfortunately you were not successful based on your application form."

I scored in the 88th percentile so I definitely passed it. You could ask for your report but even if you passed the app stage but not the WG stage I would still try to improve your application. Volumes of applications are increasing, so what was good enough last cycle might not be this cycle.

Thank you!!

LOGO

Sep 7, 2020
I would keep it to a page maximum (I personally added my address and the recipient's address and the date as I felt it looked more professional which I count as being part of that one page too)

Ultimately, you want to be able to write everything you feel you need and want to whilst remembering a key skill in legal writing is to be concise and to the point :)
Thanks. So helpful.

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
Anyone heard back from HSF (Winter) yet? Deadline is 2 October, I've yet to apply, but don't want to leave it too late either.

Hello, on one of their recent webinars they mentioned that they review the apps after the deadline so their advice was not to rush and to ensure that you are happy with your application before submitting! Hope that helps.

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7 and Bugsy Malone

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just seen that ThoughtRiver are hiring for a Legal Technologist position for anyone who would be interested. I worked for a different LegalTech company for about 7 months and I learned so much and feel so enriched for having had the experience. I’d highly recommend exploring the space and this opportunity for anyone with an interest!!

Last edited:

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hello, on one of their recent webinars they mentioned that they review the apps after the deadline so their advice was not to rush and to ensure that you are happy with your application before submitting! Hope that helps.

After I did the tests they said they will give me an outcome after the deadline.

Oh okay thank you! Interesting- HSF always did do it on a RB but this is reassuring! :)

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
Just seen that ThoughtRiver are hiring for a Legal Technologist position for anyone who would be interested. I worked for a different LegalTech company for about 7 months and I learned so much and feel so enriched for having had the experience. I’d highly recommend exploring the space and this opportunity for anyone with an interest!!

Hi Alice! Thanks for posting this. Do you know how much this type of role would pay? Thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Just received an email from Travers Smith that they will no longer be holding interviews for this round. For some reason this feels more frustrating than a flat out rejection as it seems like my application was not even reviewed - makes all the time I put in feel like a waste. Congratulations to anyone who made it through to the interview stage.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Just received an email from Travers Smith that they will no longer be holding interviews for this round. For some reason this feels more frustrating than a flat out rejection as it seems like my application was not even reviewed - makes all the time I put in feel like a waste. Congratulations to anyone who made it through to the interview stage.
That's really sad! Maybe you can change your application and apply to Winters? I still haven't received any notifications on mine :(

• 🤝
Reactions: EMD and relentlesspursuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.