General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

J123

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 12, 2019
Hi everyone! I just wanted to share some positive news. I’m happy to say that I have accepted a TC offer from Latham after 37 applications and 14 assessment centres over the course of 4 cycles!

I think the thing that changed the most for me this year was my approach to interviews - previously I treated interviews quite formally but this cycle I really tried to drive the interview towards my own interests and make them more conversational (as the interviewers are really there to assess whether they’d like to work with you). This led to some very interesting conversations about personal aspects of my application that had nothing to do with commercial law! I also found it really helpful to come up with questions specific to the interviewers in advance which led to further conversations and ensured that interviews ended on a positive note.

I want to thank everyone for being so supportive on the forum - I have learnt so much over the past year from the people here and from using all the member resources! To everyone who is still applying and unsure about whether to continue making applications, please don’t give up as you can only improve each time! And if anyone needs any advice, please do get in touch! :)

E

Feb 5, 2020
It might currently be too difficult to tell at the moment, but does anyone know if Bakers will hold their spring VS online or in person (if anyone's been to their virtual open days and they've mentioned this)?

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
It might currently be too difficult to tell at the moment, but does anyone know if Bakers will hold their spring VS online or in person (if anyone's been to their virtual open days and they've mentioned this)?

I haven't spoken to anyone from Bakers, but the general consensus from other grad rec teams I have spoken to is that winter schemes will definitely be virtual, and the hope is that 2021 schemes can be ran in person (obviously guidance/restrictions permitting)!

• 🤝
Reactions: E

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi guys,
    I just submitted my application to CC for a TC. I was then sent an email saying that because I'd passed the WG the year before I was not required to retake it.
    I just got my feedback report and i am in the 69th percentile of the 'Clifford Chance Norm Group'.
    I was wondering whether you think I should ask to retake the test, or whether this will be good enough to get an interview (which I didn't get last year).

• 🤝
    Reactions: Quanto881766

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hi guys,
    I just submitted my application to CC for a TC. I was then sent an email saying that because I'd passed the WG the year before I was not required to retake it.
    I just got my feedback report and i am in the 69th percentile of the 'Clifford Chance Norm Group'.
    I was wondering whether you think I should ask to retake the test, or whether this will be good enough to get an interview (which I didn't get last year).

I got 54 and got a AC last year!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

I have heard their percentile benchmark is quite low, so your result could actually be at the higher end of the results spectrum

• 🤝
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Morning. I was wondering whether anyone had advice regarding describing past experience on application forms.

Thanks

In what context? How you would approach it could be very different based on how you have been asked to do so (e.g. work experience sections vs cover letter vs competency question).

@k

Aug 1, 2020
    Hey!

Has anyone heard back regarding the Slaughter and May 2021 summer vac scheme? I applied a month ago, but still nothing. In this thread there were people who already received a response for direct TCs, so I was wondering if VS will come after they sent out some TC interview invites. Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.