Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone have any advice on the Kirkland app?
struggling to think of 400 words on:

Why do you want to be a trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firm?

Think about the following:

- processes and responsibilities a transactional trainee/lawyer may have compared to an advisory, contentious, or litigation team

- think about why the subject matter of transactional work appeals to you more

- think about the ways in which you will work with clients and with other lawyers

This is about you though - you have to link anything you say back to why this will suit you more - whether that’s your motivation, your skill set, your area of knowledge.

Reactions: Evelina

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry for the lack of clarity, I mean when firms ask you to list your past experience and provide an explanation

This is too broad for me to advise on unfortunately. I need more specifics on what the firm are asking you to provide or how they want you you provide it in the context of the rest of the application.

Last edited:

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
I posted here a few weeks ago about feeling that I had the worst interview I had ever had, at the end of a vac scheme. Was very shocked to have been offered a TC from it, goes to show that one can never really know how an interview has gone and don't give up hope!!

As a side note, from getting the call to receiving the contract; I know it will be different for all firms, but how long does it usually take? A bit nervous that it has been a few days and I have not heard, and I am very keen to get it signed!

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: NMD, ibs97, CF and 17 others

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
I posted here a few weeks ago about feeling that I had the worst interview I had ever had, at the end of a vac scheme. Was very shocked to have been offered a TC from it, goes to show that one can never really know how an interview has gone and don't give up hope!!

As a side note, from getting the call to receiving the contract; I know it will be different for all firms, but how long does it usually take? A bit nervous that it has been a few days and I have not heard, and I am very keen to get it signed!

Firstly, amazing!! Congrats on the offer!

It took 7 days from me getting the call to then getting a contract to sign

Reactions: 003

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Give it a good couple of weeks before worrying.

Reactions: 003

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi guys, I have an AC at Jones Day and was wondering if anyone has done one before and has any advice? It's on Friday so I don't have much time either! Thanks!

I did my interview two years ago so perhaps it's changed since then but it was one of the most straightforward ones I've experienced. They went through my cover letter and application form and queried some grades and module choices. I don't recall being asked too many competency questions but I remember being asked for a commercial story, why they should choose me, what three words my friends would use to describe me, and what a weakness of mine was.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    For an application I'm doing, there is a question on interests and hobbies, and one on prizes, positions of responsibility etc.
    I know you are not meant to repeat anything anywhere, but if my positions of responsibility are linked to my hobbies, would it be okay to mention them in both answers (while trying not to say the same thing!)?

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    I did my interview two years ago so perhaps it's changed since then but it was one of the most straightforward ones I've experienced. They went through my cover letter and application form and queried some grades and module choices. I don't recall being asked too many competency questions but I remember being asked for a commercial story, why they should choose me, what three words my friends would use to describe me, and what a weakness of mine was.
    Ooooh, sounds quite relaxed compared to a lot of ACs! Thank you!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Hi guys, I have an AC at Jones Day and was wondering if anyone has done one before and has any advice? It's on Friday so I don't have much time either! Thanks!
    They get over 1800 apps so firstly well done.

I'd say don't overdo the non-rotational Training Contract as a plus point as everyone does it.

Focus on practice areas in greater depth and think about their kinds of clients and London capabilities.

Try and be enthusiastic as they seem to interview nearly 200 people.

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hey!

Has anyone heard back regarding the Slaughter and May 2021 summer vac scheme? I applied a month ago, but still nothing. In this thread there were people who already received a response for direct TCs, so I was wondering if VS will come after they sent out some TC interview invites. Thanks!

Don't worry, they take ages. Last year I applied in October and didn't hear a word till January.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    They get over 1800 apps so firstly well done.

I'd say don't overdo the non-rotational Training Contract as a plus point as everyone does it.

Focus on practice areas in greater depth and think about their kinds of clients and London capabilities.

Try and be enthusiastic as they seem to interview nearly 200 people.
    Oh wow! That is a lot of people! I will ramp up the enthusiasm and take your advice on board! Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Ah that's such good news. Really well done!

If I recall correctly, mine took a few weeks.

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    Hi guys,

I'm a final year student just weighing up my options in terms of applications for vacation schemes/TCs. I'm wondering whether its better to apply directly for a TC or a vacation scheme (most likely a summer one at this point), given that I was unsuccessful last cycle.

Thank you!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm a final year student just weighing up my options in terms of applications for vacation schemes/TCs. I'm wondering whether its better to apply directly for a TC or a vacation scheme (most likely a summer one at this point), given that I was unsuccessful last cycle.

Thank you!
    My personal (non-expert) advice would always be to go for a vacation scheme.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.