General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
I've asked before but has anyone heard anything from Forsters...? I was offered a place on their summer VS but it was cancelled and they said they'd interview for direct TC instead at the end of summer/the year but its been radio silence sine. I have emailed once but heard absolutely nothing - I know everyone will be in the same boat but if anyone has any insight it'd be appreciated!

E

Feb 5, 2020
If anyone has any tips for CMS' video interview, I'll be very very grateful!! (even better if you have the questions themselves!) may be projecting a little but I'd just like to be better prepared this time. Did the VI 3 years ago for CMS and failed:oops: (I didn't manage to get any help from my careers service etc because it was the holidays) and am certainly hoping not to repeat that when it comes this time!!

• 🤝
Reactions: OB

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2020
If anyone has any tips for CMS' video interview, I'll be very very grateful!! (even better if you have the questions themselves!) may be projecting a little but I'd just like to be better prepared this time. Did the VI 3 years ago for CMS and failed:oops: (I didn't manage to get any help from my careers service etc because it was the holidays) and am certainly hoping not to repeat that when it comes this time!!
Hey E, am I right to assume you've received a video interview invite from CMS recently? If so, how long after submitting the Watson Glaser did you get the invite?

E

Feb 5, 2020
Hey E, am I right to assume you've received a video interview invite from CMS recently? If so, how long after submitting the Watson Glaser did you get the invite?
no no! I haven't received it just yet! I'm just projecting hahaha:D sorry if that was confusing. I just want to know how I can start preparing (I am working FT so prep has to start early for me. also am paranoid bc I failed it once and am determined to get pass this hahaha!)

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2020
no no! I haven't received it just yet! I'm just projecting hahaha:D sorry if that was confusing. I just want to know how I can start preparing (I am working FT so prep has to start early for me. also am paranoid bc I failed it once and am determined to get pass this hahaha!)
Ah, I understand. I'm sure you'll do just fine, best of luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: E

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Hi guys, I have an AC at Jones Day and was wondering if anyone has done one before and has any advice? It's on Friday so I don't have much time either! Thanks!

The interview is quite personality focused in my opinion, so you'll get questions like what makes you stand out, what are your three best qualities, why did you do this particular bit of work experience etc.

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm a final year student just weighing up my options in terms of applications for vacation schemes/TCs. I'm wondering whether its better to apply directly for a TC or a vacation scheme (most likely a summer one at this point), given that I was unsuccessful last cycle.

Thank you!

My personal (non-expert) advice would always be to go for a vacation scheme.

I would also agree with @LegalNim and would say to go for a vacation scheme. A lot of firms mostly recruit from their VS, so the odds are more in your favour. Also, don't forget that recruitment goes both ways! As much as the firm likes you, you also have to feel the same about them! VS allows you to experience the firm in full to see if it's a good fit for you as opposed to a TC where you can't experience that at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Agree with the above - just make sure you are eligible to apply. That is usually the main factor that will influence which vacancy to apply to

Fifi

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 6, 2018
Has anyone here done a final round interview with Travers Smith and can offer any advice?

I had an interview for the VS in January 2020.

The first 10minutes or so covered: why you? why Travers? why law?

The main portion of the interview focused on moral scenarios, regarding a fictional M&A deal that was briefly outlined by the interviewer.

I was asked what I would do in a situation where my client wants to buy a long-standing family business and tear down the factory, but it was not in the interests of the seller.

They then went on to ask a hypothetical scenario of what I would do if my client had asked me to fire employees who were the biggest financial burden to the company, regardless of their personal circumstances. I was asked whether I would incorporate a sense of morality into my decision for which employees were to be made redundant.

I was also asked what I would do if a client wanted advice on how to avoid tax.

I was also asked what was the last thing that made me laugh.

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: Amrik Bains

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a quick question. Is there a list of firms that offers visa for Vacation Schemes?

I got a reply back from Simmons & Simmons saying I was not eligible due to the fact that I require a visa.

Most firms are unlikely to offer visas for internships given the costs for such a short placement. Exceptions tend to be when they have specific recruitment drives to recruit people from certain countries (typically China/Dubai).

It can cost several thousand pounds just to get a visa, so firms don't really see the value in getting them for a 1-4 week vacation scheme unless there is a true talent pipeline needed.

Last edited:

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Has anyone got advice for applying for vac schemes whilst working full time? I graduated and work as a paralegal but I know a lot of firms predominantly hire through vac schemes, but I don’t have that much holiday with my current position and I’m worried that they’ll refuse to let me technically go try out for another job lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone got advice for applying for vac schemes whilst working full time? I graduated and work as a paralegal but I know a lot of firms predominantly hire through vac schemes, but I don’t have that much holiday with my current position and I’m worried that they’ll refuse to let me technically go try out for another job lol

First port of call is finding out whether your current employer would allow it. If its a no, then there isn't much you can do (apart from quitting the job).

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I don't have much advice but I feel your pain. I'm a teacher so I don't get to choose my holiday at all - no exceptions. So, I'm pretty limited on the vacation schemes I can apply for.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I'm glad I'm not the only one, are you trying to apply for direct tc's aswell?
    I'm applying for the vacation schemes that I can and direct TCs. I'm also doing as many online sessions and virtual events and things as I can. Many of these are in the evenings so I'm getting some good firm exposure that way.

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I’m in the exact same position - working as a full time paralegal and working really long hours, I’m not sure how they’d take to me taking time off at Xmas so think I’m gonna have to go down the direct TC route, and then the firms I’m super super keen on that only recruit through VS applying for their summer ones (in the hope that somehow by summer things will have quietened at work and it’s a more usual time to take a week/two off) but other than that... I think just keep reminding yourself that the experience you’re getting now will be super helpful when it comes to interviews and so hopefully we won’t be at a disadvantage not having done their VS!! Feel free to PM if you want to chat further :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.