Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Might be the firm/intake or pure chance. I did just realise that we have a St.A's History grad but I don't think that that counts?

What were the actual numbers though?

I see a lot of SOAS/Surrey/whatever success stories out there on Linkedin but I can't help but think that these blow things out of proportion slightly precisely because these people have overachieved in the context of their background and university. If I went off what I saw on LinkedIn, everyone training at a leading firm is either the first generation of their parents to go to uni, ticks off 5 or 6 diversity characteristics, or is a former elite athlete!
I haven’t really felt the need to keep “actual” numbers in my head and don’t have access to the data where I don’t work for the firms.

Your LinkedIn sounds very different to mine. That probably says more about the company we keep rather than firms’ recruitment processes.

JohanGRK

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I haven’t really felt the need to keep “actual” numbers in my head and don’t have access to the data where I don’t work for the firms.

Your LinkedIn sounds very different to mine.
Okay, thank you. I thought I might as well ask.

Tbf my Linkedin is mostly full of the quiet Oxbridgey/Durham types that come from middle class backgrounds, get high 2.1s or Firsts, and end up at the sort of firm you recruited for. But these people aren't the ones filling up my feed haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay, thank you. I thought I might as well ask.

Tbf my Linkedin is mostly full of the quiet Oxbridgey/Durham types that come from middle class backgrounds, get high 2.1s or Firsts, and end up at the sort of firm you recruited for. But these people aren't the ones filling up my feed haha
LinkedIn isn’t really a great way to judge something. Lots of people don’t like to shout about things on LinkedIn, and that’s assuming they are on it in the first place (many aren’t). I am not sure how I would find out someone is the first in their family to go to uni, or whether I could make assumptions about their demographics though through LinkedIn.

It’s the epitome of the Oxford Vaccine joke doing the rounds.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Yes - apart from the first MC firm that I left in 2006, I recruited enough non-RG grad consistently across intakes for me confidently say it wasn’t an anomaly.

Maybe things have gone backwards since I have left? (doubt it going by what I see on LinkedIn though).
    LinkedIn isn’t really a great way to judge something. Lots of people don’t like to shout about things on LinkedIn, and that’s assuming they are on it in the first place (many aren’t). I am not sure how I would find out someone is the first in their family to go to uni, or whether I could make assumptions about their demographics though through LinkedIn.

But you mentioned LinkedIn as a way to assess progress first?

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020

I think it's a fairly reliable way of figuring the general profile of a firm's candidates out, particularly given that uptake is so high. I don't have any numbers on this but I'd estimate that it's a good 2/3rds and above. It seems to be a norm to at least have a presence on that site, even if you're not active.

Problem is that I've been relying on what people actually post too much. I think that the type of candidate who actively posts about their TC journey (and eventual success) is very much the type of candidate who comes from an underrepresented/non-standard background. Most non-diverse candidates keep their mouths shut.

Sorry I am not sure what you mean by this. Please can you clarify?
    I think that the point is that you relied on Linkedin as a way of contradicting my point about the lack of non-RGers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think it's a fairly reliable way of figuring the general profile of a firm's candidates out, particularly given that uptake is so high. I don't have any numbers on this but I'd estimate that it's a good 2/3rds and above. It seems to be a norm to at least have a presence on that site, even if you're not active.

Problem is that I've been relying on what people actually post too much. I think that the type of candidate who actively posts about their TC journey (and eventual success) is very much the type of candidate who comes from an underrepresented/non-standard background. Most non-diverse candidates keep their mouths shut.

I think that the point is that you relied on Linkedin as a way of contradicting my point about the lack of non-RGers.
    But you are relying on all the data on LinkedIn being there and consistently. A lot of people don’t put their uni on their LinkedIn, and even more so the case from lower ranked uni because of these perceptions we are discussing.

People might shout about certain aspects of diversity that they are proud of. But think of all those who are keeping it quiet because they don’t feel they can shout about it or who are not proud (sadly so). The most vocal doesn’t usually give a good insight into true representation. It just gives us a view of who is shouting the loudest or the most.

My point about LinkedIn was not about RG vs Non-RG, it was more my feed was very different to yours. It was meant in jest, as I assumed yours was in jest too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is from the latest Chambers student guide research on universities attended by trainees. To me there is nothing surprising here, and actually nothing much has changed in the last 7 years.

Attachments

• 2FDFF2CB-5053-4EDF-A663-4CD029A64EA6.jpeg
      2FDFF2CB-5053-4EDF-A663-4CD029A64EA6.jpeg
      167.7 KB · Views: 63
    Reactions: ab01

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Really interesting discussion to this point, I feel like I should maybe chuck my hat into the ring here - at the risk, perhaps, of it being somewhat unpopular.

For perspective: I've got not-spectacular A-level equivalents (141 UCAS points, so somewhere between A*AB and AAB) from a decent-ish Glasgow state school. I am included in multiple contextual recruitment/ under-represented groups. I attend a non-RG Uni (Aberdeen, which is in the far north of Scotland) and I'm on track for a 2.1. For those who don't know, I secured a TC with Travers Smith on essentially my first app cycle.

Do I think that some firms err towards RG/ especially Oxbridge candidates? Yes, absolutely. Do I believe this is every firm? No, I don't. Do I believe it's due to recruiters having a silver spoon stuck somewhere unpleasant turning their nose up at candidates from anywhere else? No, don't be ridiculous.

I think that, as prospective applicants, there is a tendency (which I myself was guilty of, by the way) of forgetting that law firms are businesses in and of themselves, who need to make cost-benefit analyses of every decision they take and also want the absolute best talent because they want to make the most competitive offering to their clients, to make more money in turn. To that end, firms are obviously going to target universities which have a statistically higher proportion of candidates who will tick the boxes for that firm. You also have to consider geography here: Aberdeen, for example, is a nightmare to get to and travel costs an absolute fortune. In spite of the fact it's generally considered a top-10 UK law school, it's simply not practical for most firms to attend because they can get a higher proportion of statistically better candidates for a much lower investment cost elsewhere. It's a no-brainer for a business to make that decision. One of the massive strong-points of this forum is that it is a resource to find frank and honest advice, I think @Jessica Booker would be doing everyone here a disservice if she gave some political/ smoke and mirrors excuse for the situation as it currently is... I totally get that it might be a bit unpleasant to hear said plainly, but let's not shoot the messenger.

Whether it's right or wrong (and, hey, I agree that it is wrong), pragmatism is necessary here. I remember someone telling me once that "it's infinitely easier to effect change from the inside of the tent peeing out, than the outside of the tent peeing in". You'll not change the world by shouting about it, but by putting yourself in a position where you can do it.

Myself and countless others from backgrounds such as mine are literally living proof that it's possible and the additional challenges mean little in practice if you really work at it. I think simply 'blaming the system' and resigning oneself to not achieving what you want is a total cop-out. I'm one of the most passionate people you could meet about improving the diversity in the commercial legal industry - hence, for example, I do what I do here, have attended video networking panels etc - and improving the disparity in legal recruitment is something which I fully plan on being a part of through my career. But, at that point, I'll be in the tent peeing out. Work hard, keep pushing and then, when you're in the tent, pee out and actually effect change.

Edit: Just for clarification, I don't at all disagree with people who say that non-RG/ Oxbridge/ XYZ groups are still fighting an uphill battle- I completely agree with this and it's totally wrong- I'm just saying that the best way to change it is to put yourself in a position where you can do so :)
    Thank you @Jacob Miller you seem like living proof that anyone can DREAM BIG, and achieve it successfully :)

Reactions: Jacob Miller

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    If there is a perception that law firms recruit more from Russel group, why would anyone with good grades go to a non RG Uni? Why make it more difficult to start with?
    For me personally, I didn’t have anyone who could guide me, my sixth form had no careers service. I thought about dropping out in my third year but it was no point by then.

Thankful to this forum, thanks @Jaysen

• 🤝
    Reactions: Parent and Jaysen

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If there is a perception that law firms recruit more from Russel group, why would anyone with good grades go to a non RG Uni? Why make it more difficult to start with?
    Could be for any one of hundreds of reasons. Some people want to stay closer to home, some schools don't have any proper careers/ future guidance to help kids really understand what all the differences are, some for other reasons altogether. I'm at Aberdeen, for example, because I transferred there so I could live with my fiancee rather than having to do distance for 4 years.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I
    Because not everyone has the luxury of choosing which university they go to. Some people have to stay close to home for financial or family commitments. Not everyone has a RG uni in a 30 mile radius of their home.

Some people also get scholarships or funding to go to specific universities, meaning the cost for them means it makes sense to go to that specific uni. Not everyone wants to get into £80k+ worth of debt

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    It is how it works in terms of moderation. The ranking is used to assign grade boundaries (more so than at other units) although this does depend on which college you go to. A 2.2 at Cambridge is a bit different to a 2.2 from somewhere else
    It doesn’t matter if you went to Cambridge, a 2:2 is still a 2:2 in a graduate recruitment’s perspective. I have a family friend who is a GR employee at a very elite US firm and they will still reject you or consider that as an obstacle :)

I’m from LSE and know people in my course who achieved a 2:2 in some modules and I know a good friend of mine from SOAS who got strong 2:1s he was favoured over the LSE student. As @Jessica Booker mentioned I don’t think a uni’s name matters. I’m still facing a lot of rejections and I didn’t get any 2:2s and graduated with a solid 2:1.

It broadens more than just academics and your university’s name. Because you went to Cambridge doesn’t make you elite hahahah

This is a great discussion.

Do you agree @Jessica Booker?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    It doesn’t matter if you went to Cambridge, a 2:2 is still a 2:2 in a graduate recruitment’s perspective. I have a family friend who is a GR employee at a very elite US firm and they will still reject you or consider that as an obstacle :)

I’m from LSE and know people in my course who achieved a 2:2 in some modules and I know a good friend of mine from SOAS who got strong 2:1s he was favoured over the LSE student. As @Jessica Booker mentioned I don’t think a uni’s name matters. I’m still facing a lot of rejections and I didn’t get any 2:2s and graduated with a solid 2:1.

It broadens more than just academics and your university’s name. Because you went to Cambridge doesn’t make you elite hahahah

I agree. I said that a 2.2 from Cambridge is ‘different’ to an equivalent grade from a different uni. It isn’t necessarily better or worse but probably requires contextualising like many factors that go into an individual’s application. A 2.1 is still obviously a grade higher than a 2.2

also I don’t go to Cambridge or Oxford lol I am just re-laying what recruiters have told me

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    hi guys, this may be a super broad question and a bit of a dumb one but what is the significance of firms promoting x many partners? is this something we should concern ourselves with?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It never is as simple as comparing a candidate with X set of academics to another with Y set of academics.

There are literally tens of thousands of variables that will make each application different beyond academics. In your above example, the SOAS candidate probably had other strengths to their application while the Cambridge applicant probably also had areas for development.

Unless you don't meet the firm’s criteria - for instance if you haven't achieved a 2.1 overall - it's highly unlikely a decision is being made on academics alone, so trying to compare candidates purely by that measurement, isn’t really worthwhile in my opinion.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    hi guys, this may be a super broad question and a bit of a dumb one but what is the significance of firms promoting x many partners? is this something we should concern ourselves with?
    I think you could mention this in the context of Diversity & Inclusion. So for example with myself, diversity is very important to me so I am naturally quite interested in the representation of BAME and female incumbent partners and promotions within a firm. Other than this, I don't think you would need to nor be expected to have a deep understanding into a firm's partner structure.
    ( also not a dumb question at all! ☺️ )

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I also think, in addition to what Naomi said, that this could be significant in seeing for example, if that particular firm is promoting its own lawyers compared to hiring from other firms. Some firms often do lateral hires of partners from their competitors, while others might prefer to promote its own people.

Reactions: Naomi U

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Agree with the comments already said. I think you also need to look at the detail - where are people being promoted in terms of either geographical location or also practice area/department? If that's all in one area, it could suggest that the firm is growing more rapidly in that area. However, it could equally mean that just a load of people retired/jumped ship for another firm, so sometimes it isn't always as clear cut what it means in reality. To me the bigger question is how many partners that are being promoted trained and qualified at the firm. Many people who are being promoted could have easily been lured over as a senior associate with the temptation of partnership, rather than being hired laterally as a partner.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.