General Firm Research

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys,

Was just wondering what sources you use to research, apart from the web, news reports and chambers student etc. I'm trying to research on Travers Smith and I can't find something that makes them particularly unique - they appear to have a standard training programme, business strategy (apart from their international business strategy) etc like most other firms.

How do you guys find something on a particular firm, that makes them stand out? I'm struggling with writing a cover letter because I cannot find something that makes Travers stand out.

Thanks!

Reactions: SameerS

J88

Standard Member
Sep 22, 2018
With regards to Travers Smith, some standout points are that they have a small intake size, esp. for a silver circle firm; they are a leader in mid market private equity deals, with notable repeat clients (e.g. Bridgepoint); and they also have a unique ‘room sharing’ structure, where partners sit with trainees (and associates) in one room. The firm therefore has a very flat structure.

Just a general point: maybe it’d be helpful to think of uniqueness not in terms of one feature, but the aggregate of the firm’s qualities. Yeah, TS’ international structure might not be entirely unique, because Slaughter and May also have no international offices - but when you combine TS’ international strategy with who their clients are, their intake size, their sector strength, and add all these other things, then the firm does start to look quite unique I think

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.