Grammar Q

Discussion in 'Public Feedback Forum' started by Maddie, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Maddie

Maddie Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Really silly one, but is the capitalisation in the following sentence correct, or should court be lower case?: "I was required to build rapport with different members of the Court and Crown Prosecution Service...".

Thanks in advance!

2. Jaxkw

Jaxkw Star Member
    Early Bird

TCLA Credits:
    I think you'd only use capitals for court if you were writing out the full name e.g. the Court of Appeal. Someone please confirm though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    I agree with above

Just to save words @Maddie, I would rephrase the sentence to

I built rapport with different members of the court and Crown Prosecution Service.

#3 Salma, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Good recommendation here.

When answering competency questions, so many students say "I had the opportunity to" or "I was required to". Unless you really need to outline what you were asked to do for your answer, it's better to just say "I did XYZ".

Agreed with lower case court and upper case CPS. I'd also consider being more specific by referencing who exactly you were liaising with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maddie

Maddie Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you both! Yes will do that!

6. Maddie

Maddie Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Another silly grammar Q -- when talking about open days in an application answer, do you leave in lower case when not referring to a specific one i.e., 'my participation on a number of open days at Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms...', and then capitalise when talking about a specific firm i.e. 'I attended an Open Day at X firm' ????

Thanks for help above btw ^ !

7. AJ

AJ Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    Personally, I would only capitalise the firm name. I.e open day and magic/silver circle al lower case.

Ps. Is the a need to use the words magic and silver circle firms?! It will be pretty evident from the firm names and it just takes up word count

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    I never have in my applications for that reason - the firm names are more than sufficient :)

9. Salma

Salma Legendary Member
    Trainee

TCLA Credits:
    @Maddie I agree with @AJ, I would not specify whether the firm is magic circle or silver circle ( it is just waste of words). Just get to the point and say, for example, In 2016, I went to an open day with XYZ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Maddie

Maddie Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for advice, think will change to City firms or something like that to avoid confusion! With regards to referring to the firms in that way, I don't have the word count to list each one individually in my answer so it just seems easier to group them together!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    City firms sounds good (it's then implied that you are talking about commercial law firms in London).

• Like Like x 2