Grammar Q

• Thread starter Deleted member 69
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69

Really silly one, but is the capitalisation in the following sentence correct, or should court be lower case?: "I was required to build rapport with different members of the Court and Crown Prosecution Service...".

Thanks in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I agree with above

Just to save words @Maddie, I would rephrase the sentence to

I built rapport with different members of the court and crown prosecution service.

Good recommendation here.

When answering competency questions, so many students say "I had the opportunity to" or "I was required to". Unless you really need to outline what you were asked to do for your answer, it's better to just say "I did XYZ".

Agreed with lower case court and upper case CPS. I'd also consider being more specific by referencing who exactly you were liaising with.

Reactions: AJ and Deleted member 69
    D

Deleted member 69

Another silly grammar Q -- when talking about open days in an application answer, do you leave in lower case when not referring to a specific one i.e., 'my participation on a number of open days at Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms...', and then capitalise when talking about a specific firm i.e. 'I attended an Open Day at X firm' ????

Thanks for help above btw ^ !

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Another silly grammar Q -- when talking about open days in an application answer, do you leave in lower case when not referring to a specific one i.e., 'my participation on a number of open days at Magic Circle and Silver Circle firms...', and then capitalise when talking about a specific firm i.e. 'I attended an Open Day at X firm' ????

Thanks for help above btw ^ !

Personally, I would only capitalise the firm name. I.e open day and magic/silver circle al lower case.

Ps. Is the a need to use the words magic and silver circle firms?! It will be pretty evident from the firm names and it just takes up word count

Reactions: Salma

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Personally, I would only capitalise the firm name. I.e open day and magic/silver circle al lower case.

Ps. Is there a need to use the words magic and silver circle firms?! It will be pretty evident from the firm names and it just takes up word count
    I never have in my applications for that reason - the firm names are more than sufficient :)

D

Deleted member 69

Ps. Is the a need to use the words magic and silver circle firms?! It will be pretty evident from the firm names and it just takes up word count

Thanks for advice, think will change to City firms or something like that to avoid confusion! With regards to referring to the firms in that way, I don't have the word count to list each one individually in my answer so it just seems easier to group them together!

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for advice, think will change to City firms or something like that to avoid confusion! With regards to referring to the firms in that way, I don't have the word count to list each one individually in my answer so it just seems easier to group them together!

City firms sounds good (it's then implied that you are talking about commercial law firms in London).

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi All,

Please could someone confirm if I should capitalise the "o" for the operation team in the below passage?

"I managed the data analysis aspect of the 'People Systems Project' so that when the firm migrated to a new HR system, the operations team could transfer the most accurate data."

Thanks!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.