Guidance for work in the United Kingdom

Shreyanshagrawal

Dec 31, 2021
A qualified in-house role will generally need the same type of experience as a qualified role in private practice, so will need at least a two year TC and passing any examinations to become qualified. Many in-house roles will need more qualified experience though and may say something like needing 2-5 years PQE (post qualified experience).

Some in-house teams offer training contracts though, and with the SQE coming in, more in-house legal teams will be able to offer qualifying work experience.
@Jessica Booker
I am also searching for legal counsel roles in companies that have offices both in India and abroad. For Example, If I could work in India for some time, depending on the profile, and then request for transfer to its other office in a different jurisdiction. What do you think about this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker - I am looking for a long term career in the U.K.
Then your options are either to gain at least three years experience in India + take the SQE exams and then transfer across as a qualified associate.

The safer bet is probably trying to secure a U.K. TC though. The difficulty you have is there is that you’ll be qualified as soon as you have passed the SQE assessments, as you are qualified in another jurisdiction. For anyone else, they have to accumulate the two years of qualifying work experience to then qualify, which is why the TC is a necessity.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker
I am also searching for legal counsel roles in companies that have offices both in India and abroad. For Example, If I could work in India for some time, depending on the profile, and then request for transfer to its other office in a different jurisdiction. What do you think about this?
It is a possibility, but is not straight forward.

You will need experience in English law to work at a qualified/senior level for any organisation based in England and Wales. The issue with India is because their market is so protected, your exposure to English law is naturally going to be very limited. It is likely if you do move across, the expectation will be that you will be taking a step backwards to then be able to build your experience up again.

I strongly recommend finding Indian qualified lawyers working in the U.K. who started their careers in India - the best people to speak about these things are those who have taken that specific route.

Shreyanshagrawal

Dec 31, 2021
It is a possibility, but is not straight forward.

You will need experience in English law to work at a qualified/senior level for any organisation based in England and Wales. The issue with India is because their market is so protected, your exposure to English law is naturally going to be very limited. It is likely if you do move across, the expectation will be that you will be taking a step backwards to then be able to build your experience up again.

I strongly recommend finding Indian qualified lawyers working in the U.K. who started their careers in India - the best people to speak about these things are those who have taken that specific route.
@Jessica Booker

In reference to Inhouse counsel roles - Yes, I am considering this factor also.

In reference to finding Indian lawyers who have taken the same path - Right now, I am exactly doing this only.

Last edited:

Shreyanshagrawal

Dec 31, 2021
Then your options are either to gain at least three years experience in India + take the SQE exams and then transfer across as a qualified associate.

The safer bet is probably trying to secure a U.K. TC though. The difficulty you have is there is that you’ll be qualified as soon as you have passed the SQE assessments, as you are qualified in another jurisdiction. For anyone else, they have to accumulate the two years of qualifying work experience to then qualify, which is why the TC is a necessity.
@Jessica Booker - Yes, I understand this. I am still thinking about this.

I am really thankful to you for all your help and replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.