Has anyone done their ULAW exams online? How is it

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

ULaw have given students like myself an option to do exams online. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has done exams online can provide insight. I wish to do exams online but need to make sure it's a viable thing to do compared to the alternative

1) I understand it is protctored/invigilated. How is this done? Is it that you have your screen recorded and an invigilator is on your screen(kind of like Facetime). Sorry if this is a silly Q.

2) Do they make you take photos of your desk etc.

3) Regarding notes, can we access whatever as long as it is digital and on our systems? I know in the real exams, they let you take 2 binders full of notes, but online, how would they measure these binders. or is it the case of there is no specific allowance of a maximum of notes you can bring in

4) Linking to the above, can I search the notes(for e.g, Crtl+F), or is it that your screen is stuck on Ulaw's software that they use for writing exams online(I believe it is called Respondus?)

5) Finally(for now) , can you also have physical notes besides you IRL

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hi everyone,

ULaw have given students like myself an option to do exams online. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has done exams online can provide insight. I wish to do exams online but need to make sure it's a viable thing to do compared to the alternative

1) I understand it is protctored/invigilated. How is this done? Is it that you have your screen recorded and an invigilator is on your screen(kind of like Facetime). Sorry if this is a silly Q.

2) Do they make you take photos of your desk etc.

3) Regarding notes, can we access whatever as long as it is digital and on our systems? I know in the real exams, they let you take 2 binders full of notes, but online, how would they measure these binders. or is it the case of there is no specific allowance of a maximum of notes you can bring in

4) Linking to the above, can I search the notes(for e.g, Crtl+F), or is it that your screen is stuck on Ulaw's software that they use for writing exams online(I believe it is called Respondus?)

5) Finally(for now) , can you also have physical notes besides you IRL

1. you use the Respondus Lockdown software that you have to download to sit the exam and in order to access your exam, you have to consent to being recorded. No facetime as such, in that no one's on your screen, but if your face is out of the camera view, a notification will pop up to tell you to get back in view.

2. yes. you will have to take a video of your surroundings including your desk before you start the exam. This is prob when they make note of how many binders etc you have with you.

3/4/5. you cannot access any digital notes. everything has to be hard copy. the software blocks any background application e.g. Word, Safari/Chrome etc.

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
1. you use the Respondus Lockdown software that you have to download to sit the exam and in order to access your exam, you have to consent to being recorded. No facetime as such, in that no one's on your screen, but if your face is out of the camera view, a notification will pop up to tell you to get back in view.

2. yes. you will have to take a video of your surroundings including your desk before you start the exam. This is prob when they make note of how many binders etc you have with you.

3/4/5. you cannot access any digital notes. everything has to be hard copy. the software blocks any background application e.g. Word, Safari/Chrome etc.
Wow, this seems really strict. Thanks for your insight.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.