Has anyone failed the LPC. Lost TC?

LegalLily

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Hi I am about to embark on the last part of my LPC (my masters portion) and I have a TC secured. I recently saw a few posts on linkedin and twitter by those who lost their training contracts because they didn't get the required results needed. I am hoping with all my might that this doesn't happen to me but I was wondering if anyone has lost their TC because of their LPC results?? How common is this and how did you cope? I didnt even realise firms were ending TCs over LPC results and now it's seriously spiking my anxiety.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I am about to embark on the last part of my LPC (my masters portion) and I have a TC secured. I recently saw a few posts on linkedin and twitter by those who lost their training contracts because they didn't get the required results needed. I am hoping with all my might that this doesn't happen to me but I was wondering if anyone has lost their TC because of their LPC results?? How common is this and how did you cope? I didnt even realise firms were ending TCs over LPC results and now it's seriously spiking my anxiety.
If they have lost their TC, it will be due to a term in their training contract offer that they had to obtain a certain grade. Most firms just require you to pass the LPC, and so for anyone not passing the LPC, they can’t go on to their TC anyway, so it’s a fairly straight forward decision as the terms of the offer haven’t been met.

For the small number of firms that require you to get a commendation in the LPC, then that is one of the factors people have to consider when accepting a TC and completing the LPC. Some firms allow resits, others don’t.

I wouldn’t say it is common but it does happen. For firms with large trainee intakes (eg 50+), it is not unknown for one prospective trainee to not pass the LPC each year. Some firms are better at others in supporting their prospective trainees to do as much as they can to ensure this doesn’t happen.

Do you know if you have to obtain a certain classification in your LPC, or is it a case you just have to pass?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
My lawyer daughter hired someone as a paralegal who had a very good TC with a big firm but had failed one exam so the TC was withdrawn. Not all firms do that. The person retook the exam and passed and later found a TC elsewhere so it was all fine in the end.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.