Advice on LPC results date and TC start date clash

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Hello

I am due to start my TC in September 2023. The actual contract states my offer is subject to successfully completing the LPC. However, I deferred some exams due to health problems and the next sit for these is August 2023, will results released in October 2023.

I am therefore unsure if I will be able to start my TC in September as I will not know by then if I have passed the LPC. I contacted my LPC provider first. They suggested I contact my firm to ask if I can provide my results at the later date or if they absolutely need to have them by September. I wanted to know how flexible firms are with this before I contact them.

A few points: I was originally meant to start my TC in Sept 2024 but they had a place for 2023 which I took. I am also self funding the LPC.

Ideally, I want to ask my firm if I can start my TC after the results are released, so ideally around November 2023. The reason for this is that my last LPC exam will be a day before I am due to start my TC and I would really like a breather before I start. Do you think I am in a position to ask for this or should I just ask if I can start my TC in September without my results?

Hoping @Jessica Booker could advise on this but appreciate advice from anyone!

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s highly unlikely you will be able to start your TC late. There are intakes/inductions and training all set up which are unlikely to be replicated for one person on an ad-hoc basis.

However, it is possible to start a TC without your LPC results. Whether a firm is happy for this to happen is another matter though, and you really need to speak to the firm about this ASAP to understand the feasibility of this or whether deferring your start date until 2024 is the better option.

Reactions: nisadee

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
It’s highly unlikely you will be able to start your TC late. There are intakes/inductions and training all set up which are unlikely to be replicated for one person on an ad-hoc basis.

However, it is possible to start a TC without your LPC results. Whether a firm is happy for this to happen is another matter though, and you really need to speak to the firm about this ASAP to understand the feasibility of this or whether deferring your start date until 2024 is the better option.
Thank you for the quick response!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Certainly in the old days TCs started in September and exam results were in November (I am very old) so everyone started without knowing if they had passed (and then I suppose had to leave if they did not pass). Firms had no problems with people starting before results were out.

Reactions: nisadee

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Certainly in the old days TCs started in September and exam results were in November (I am very old) so everyone started without knowing if they had passed (and then I suppose had to leave if they did not pass). Firms had no problems with people starting before results were out.
ooh thanks for the info!

des.ax_

Apr 9, 2024
Hello

I am due to start my TC in September 2023. The actual contract states my offer is subject to successfully completing the LPC. However, I deferred some exams due to health problems and the next sit for these is August 2023, will results released in October 2023.

I am therefore unsure if I will be able to start my TC in September as I will not know by then if I have passed the LPC. I contacted my LPC provider first. They suggested I contact my firm to ask if I can provide my results at the later date or if they absolutely need to have them by September. I wanted to know how flexible firms are with this before I contact them.

A few points: I was originally meant to start my TC in Sept 2024 but they had a place for 2023 which I took. I am also self funding the LPC.

Ideally, I want to ask my firm if I can start my TC after the results are released, so ideally around November 2023. The reason for this is that my last LPC exam will be a day before I am due to start my TC and I would really like a breather before I start. Do you think I am in a position to ask for this or should I just ask if I can start my TC in September without my results?

Hoping @Jessica Booker could advise on this but appreciate advice from anyone!

Thank you
I’m currently in the exact same situation as yourself. I’ve had to postpone an exam due to health issues but I’m due start my TC in September 2024 but the results for the August sit will not be released until October 2024. May I ask what the outcome of your situation was? I’m hoping to contact my firm soon.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m currently in the exact same situation as yourself. I’ve had to postpone an exam due to health issues but I’m due start my TC in September 2024 but the results for the August sit will not be released until October 2024. May I ask what the outcome of your situation was? I’m hoping to contact my firm soon.
You really need to speak to you firm about this, and at the earliest opportunity. It would have been better to explain this to them at the point you knew you needed to defer exams.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.