Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Might be this one from @Paul - Shearman & Sterling, although they are non-rolling!

0-11-png.1875

Even rolling recruitment firms will have a similar pattern to this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would be interested to see the correlation between dates of submission and success of the applications. All of my successful applications were submitted earlier, but I also know people who have got vacs/tc's after last-minute submissions.

It is a generalisation, but it tends to be a bell curve....

not so good at the beginning, better in the middle, worse at the end...

Some people rush into applying to early
Some people rush to try and get their application in just before the deadline

Reactions: Nat000

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi All,

Has anyone heard back from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? Or, has anyone heard back from SM for the new TC apps that opened on the 1st September?

I did a successful application to Baker McKenzie earlier this year for a direct TC if anyone needs any tips for their Bakers application! (I didn't pass the VI so I can't really be any help there)

Thanks in advance​

Hi, I'm also planning for applying for Baker's VS. i'd love some tips if you have an idea of what they're looking for!

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Hi All,

Has anyone heard back from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? Or, has anyone heard back from SM for the new TC apps that opened on the 1st September?

I did a successful application to Baker McKenzie earlier this year for a direct TC if anyone needs any tips for their Bakers application! (I didn't pass the VI so I can't really be any help there)

Thanks in advance​

Hey re: the A&O winter vac scheme, I applied on 27 Aug and was rejected last week! It took longer than the expected 21 days, but not much longer than that

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and Jennifer85

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    On the web page it had written 'do well at each stage we'll invite you to do the next' so it seems like applications are screened and those successful get a WG invite!

Hmm I’m not sure... I applied yesterday around 10pm and got my WG invite today at noon, so I don’t think my application was screened - unless they were very very quick!

Reactions: Alexa.159

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's really interesting! I guess earlier isn't necessarily better then

I think this is just where some people rush applications in too early. Maybe they haven't done enough research, maybe they just physically rush their application and don't proof read properly etc.

Obviously not all candidates will do this - some maybe super prepared for the last cycle, or have a closer connection to the firm and so don't need to spend time researching online or going to events. But as a general trend application tend to be best around late October/November time after everyone has done their campus events (or in the case this year, online events). Tend to get a bit of a uplift in mid December when the universites break up too and people have more time on their hands. You can also see people who clearly wanted to get away from their family at Christmas and spend time submitting good apps between 24-27th December :D

keenaspiringlawyer

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    With the deadline point (if it's rolling): Is it better to attend a networking event with the firm and submit the app a bit later and closer to the deadline or should it just be about getting in the best app asap? There have been firms I am interested in who have a rolling deadline and their events are a couple of weeks after the applications open. Would that be too late?
    Personally, I am not 100% sure about getting it in early. Obviously it is an advantage but I think if you are good enough it should be fine (As long as it's not totally the last minute)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With the deadline point (if it's rolling): Is it better to attend a networking event with the firm and submit the app a bit later and closer to the deadline or should it just be about getting in the best app asap? There have been firms I am interested in who have a rolling deadline and their events are a couple of weeks after the applications open. Would that be too late?
    Personally, I am not 100% sure about getting it in early. Obviously it is an advantage but I think if you are good enough it should be fine (As long as it's not totally the last minute)

Go to the event, then apply

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    A&O 2023 (not 2022 please) TC anyone?

think this batch is still waiting :) good luck!

haven't heard anything for 2023 (my friend for 2022 already heard back) but it's been a month and a half since i applied so was wondering if it would be worth dropping them an email to follow up?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I applied for the A&O winter vac scheme on august 5th and have heard nothing since then (I did my SJT then too). I'm presuming they're extremely busy and they're unlikely to do interviews until November, unless anyone can confirm otherwise?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.