Hearing Back From Law Firms, Assessment Centres and Interview Tips - 2020 +

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Feb 27, 2020.

1. cl99

cl99 Well-Known Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi all, I am applying for winter vac schemes but I am still no sure how it will work out in case I hopefully get one as I am working afternoons and evenings as well. Can anyone, who has had a virtual vac scheme, share some details about their programme in terms of hours? Did you normally worked 9-5 for example or were your days pretty much packed with something happening 9-9? Thank you :)

2. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Some of your experiences may not have been the firm’s error. The change is benchmark is actually more common than you think, the lack of links could have been down to your email provider rather than a lack of correspondence from the firm. The only one that clearly is an error in the firm’s part is the move to the old/new UCAS tariff.

3. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion. Obviously graduate recruitment are fallible - plenty of my previous posts have highlighted this.

I can only go by my experience and explain that in more cases than not, there was no error, just a decision had been made on an application.

Queries never annoyed me though - it was always part of the job. In fact, I used to ensure it was something where more effort and timely responses were considered from a KPI perspective.

I did used to get annoyed by rudeness though, and clearly still do.

4. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Can you not take time off work/annual leave? Or could you swap your shifts to the following week?

I wouldn’t recommend working the week of a vacation scheme, even if it is virtual. Zoom fatigue + a strong learning curve will mean its particularly tricky week. I would expect you to have work/training sessions/seminars between 9.30-5.30 and you may also find you are picking up work during the day that needs to be completed (or you want to complete of your own accord) outside of office hours.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. whisperingrock

whisperingrock Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Less than 10 minutes ago you decided to correct someone who said that the firms admitted to the issues being their error, not the candidates. You took the time to explain that no, their lived experience is actually wrong and it wasn't down to the firm. Either you think that Johan is lying or the firm was lying to them. Every comment where you acknowledge grad rec can make mistakes is caveated in some way.

You may be annoyed by rudeness but I am annoyed by discrimination by grad rec (which the firm admitted to), failures to email me assessments and information (which grad rec admitted to), systems which don't respond and crash, and waiting over 4 months for even a rejection email in some cases. And I'm even more annoyed that stating anything negative and pointing out that you ignored someone who had asked if they should bother following up when it turned out you were wrong about them not qualifying for the scheme, is somehow an indictment against my character.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. cl99

cl99 Well-Known Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you for your response!

I am working in hospitality and I will not be allowed to take time off in December (well
    unless there is a second lockdown in my area). Hopefully if I manage to secure a vac scheme, I can still do evening and weekend shifts or in worse case scenario I will have to leave the job.

7. CalibreX1

CalibreX1 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone know who to address the NRF cover letter to? Not sure whether to go with Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Graduate Recruitment Team? Can't find a specific person listed anywhere.

8. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    You are reading what you want to into my posts. All I did was explain how a candidate’s perception of something might not actually be the reality. There’s a lot of reason to why things happen as they do. As you have suggested, a candidate just can’t see them directly and clearly.

I didn’t mean to ignore the post (although I don’t think you can claim not responding between 9pm on a Friday night and 11.00am on a Saturday as “ignoring”). I get huge amounts of notifications on this platform daily. I am the most active person on this forum by some considerable amount. Tracking who I have and haven’t responded to isn’t an easy task. And it was the weekend!

So I am fallible - I am allowed to miss posts and take time off from this forum. Your criticism of me for doing so, makes this conversation even more ironic.

#5588 Jessica Booker, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ek125712

ek125712 Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    hey, last year I addressed it to Graduate Recruitment Team and progressed to WG :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I’d try to pull any favours you can to switch shifts around. I’d really advise not working - you really want to make the most of the scheme and have the most focus/energy for it. I understand it isn’t always as simple as that though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Fatima P.

Fatima P. Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone know when HSF and Linklaters hold ACs for winter vac schemes?

Also, this year I took a hyper organised approach to my applications where I had them all ready and got them sent off in the first few days. But now I’m anxiously waiting back with nothing to do in terms of applications and really feel like I need to be doing something! Anyone else in the same boat or is it just me who is flapping around checking portals too much?

12. Fatima P.

TCLA Credits:
    Hey, I did a vacation scheme during the summer and while there weren’t as many sessions as I thought there would be, it was definitely difficult because they gave a lot of independent work to do which took up a lot of time in the evenings and early mornings and they also expected us to reach out to people for virtual coffees. They also scheduled two socials in one week and while attendance wasn’t mandatory, if you weren’t present the trainees would note it down which reflects badly. I know that it doesn’t help your situation but I really hope that helps you to make a decision!

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    Last year I got invited to the links AC on the 1st of November and they had a similar deadline for the winter VS and then the AC was something like 2 weeks after that. I’d give it a couple of weeks before checking the portal everyday but I totally feel you the wait is horrible :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fatima P.

TCLA Credits:
    Also, if you ask grad rec then some law firms will let you do the final interview on the last day of your vac scheme, rather than in the following weeks so that you aren’t having to take more days off for 20 minute interviews.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    You started this by being annoyed by Jess because she hadn’t responded to someone’s query over a Friday night. That’s just petty and unreasonable.

Whatever issues you’ve had in the past, I feel you’re coming into this forum with a big chip on your shoulder. It’s absolutely fine to be upset and of course graduate recruitment make mistakes, but there’s no need to be rude or take this out on the TCLA team.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. cl99

cl99 Well-Known Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you both for your responses :)

I hope that I will make it work in case I even get a winter vac scheme. I was just trying to plan what I could possibly do. I don't want to leave my job on bad terms as well or come across as unreliable as I will need their reference in the future. I am worrying from now because somehow I am so unlucky! I got my first open day ever this year and although I never work on this particular day of the week I was somehow on the rota so my employer was not really happy when I said I can't work that day even though I found someone to do the shift for me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. whisperingrock

whisperingrock Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Pointing out a bias by replying to a post isn't exactly taking anything out on somebody but apparently the threshold is quite low here. My sincerest apologies.

Edit: To echo your sentiment from yesterday: Thanks for the disagree vote too - very mature of you.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Confused Confused x 1
  18. Tanvi Wadhwa

Tanvi Wadhwa Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    I got a rejection after passing their test

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. Ashton97

Ashton97 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    @Jessica Booker

Bit of a random one, but I was wondering in what format do grad rec generally view your application? Is it in the same format of the document that you get when you click 'Save to PC' before sending, or something else?

20. c1070

c1070 Distinguished Member

TCLA Credits:
    If anyone is interested in the NRF front, last year I applied and was rejected within 48 hours and met all the criteria etc. This year I applied and was invited to WG. My app was significantly stronger this year, I’m a graduate so same eligibility so maybe last time it was just that my app was not up to scratch and got reviewed quickly!

• Informative Informative x 2