Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
There’s no fixed answer to this - it really depends on the question. But typically with commercial awareness questions it is important to show your thinking - how you got to that conclusion, rather than just stating the conclusion. Just keep focus - where people go wrong is that they go off on a tangent as they try to show “too much” commercial awareness
Thank you Jessica, that was really helpful.

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker do you have any tips re written exercises? I have one for my AC and I want to be fully prepared. any tips/advice re structure, what to avoid, what to make sure is included would be welcome please. The same goes for discussions about articles. I will be given an article to read then discuss it with the partners.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker do you have any tips re written exercises? I have one for my AC and I want to be fully prepared. any tips/advice re structure, what to avoid, what to make sure is included would be welcome please. The same goes for discussions about articles. I will be given an article to read then discuss it with the partners.

Is this Slaughters? I have mine in 2h haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It’s difficult on what to advise on this as it really depends on the nature of the written exercise.

The advise would also be different depending on the article...

Have you got any more specific detail?

Naomi98

Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2019
    I just received my presentation topic for an assessment centre next week and I am really unsure whether the slash sign means “or” or “per” in the following context. Any help would be really appreciated:

“Consider the current business environment in which the firm operates in. In particular, you may like to consider political, economic, social, technological, legal, and environmental factors.
    Select ONE issue/factorwhich you feel is the most important. What does it mean for the firm? What resources does the firm have and what strategies can the firm employ to ensure it continues to build on its recent success in the future?”

So does it want me to consider one issue per factor or just one issue or factor?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I just received my presentation topic for an assessment centre next week and I am really unsure whether the slash sign means “or” or “per” in the following context. Any help would be really appreciated:

“Consider the current business environment in which the firm operates in. In particular, you may like to consider political, economic, social, technological, legal, and environmental factors.
    Select ONE issue/factorwhich you feel is the most important. What does it mean for the firm? What resources does the firm have and what strategies can the firm employ to ensure it continues to build on its recent success in the future?”

So does it want me to consider one issue per factor or just one issue or factor?

I'd read that as 'or'.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Naomi98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I read this as you can choose a factor, or you can choose an issue that may cross over those factors (eg Brexit).

But don’t choose Brexit, that’s just an example.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Naomi98

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
    It’s difficult on what to advise on this as it really depends on the nature of the written exercise.

The advise would also be different depending on the article...

Have you got any more specific detail?

Below is the exact extract from the email I received

We will start at 10am with an informal session on getting to know you and giving you the chance to ask any questions you may have about training with Gide London.

You do not need to prepare for the assessment because we are interested in gauging your ability to think on your feet. You will be asked to complete an individual written exercise and a team exercise which will include a presentation.

Re the article, I asked over the phone and she said it has in the past been included as part of the assessment so I wanted to be prepared for that just in case

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Has anyone received AC invite from the government legal trainee scheme? They said AC booking will open from midday today but I haven’t got any emails yet. Should I email them or wait for a bit longer until COB? Thanks!

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019

Hi, is this for Stephenson Harwood?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Below is the exact extract from the email I received

We will start at 10am with an informal session on getting to know you and giving you the chance to ask any questions you may have about training with Gide London.

You do not need to prepare for the assessment because we are interested in gauging your ability to think on your feet. You will be asked to complete an individual written exercise and a team exercise which will include a presentation.

Re the article, I asked over the phone and she said it has in the past been included as part of the assessment so I wanted to be prepared for that just in case

So they no longer do the article assessment? If so, don’t waste your time preparing for it.

It’s still difficult to give advice on a written exercise with this vague detail. What they will be looking for is:

Accuracy
    Attention to detail
    Conciseness
    Structure
    Appropriate tone (ie knowing your audience/the piece of writing’s audience)
    Purpose

Reactions: NatAsh

NatAsh

Jun 5, 2019
    So they no longer do the article assessment? If so, don’t waste your time preparing for it.

It’s still difficult to give advice on a written exercise with this vague detail. What they will be looking for is:

Accuracy
    Attention to detail
    Conciseness
    Structure
    Appropriate tone (ie knowing your audience/the piece of writing’s audience)
    Purpose

I know, I agree it is very vague but thank you for your advice. I will leave the article assessment out then.

Lara44

Aug 9, 2019
    I have my first AC ever coming up next week and I would really appreciate some help.

I heard that they ask questions such as :

How to improve networking/marketing of the firm and how trainees can play a role?

What can be done to ensure the best service to clients?

But I really have no idea how to answer/approach these and couldn’t find any help online either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have my first AC ever coming up next week and I would really appreciate some help.

How to improve networking/marketing of the firm and how trainees can play a role?

But I really have no idea how to answer/approach these and couldn’t find any help online either

What things do you think you need to consider?

Reactions: Alice G

Lara44

Aug 9, 2019
    What things do you think you need to consider?
    For improving marketing I was mainly thinking thought leadership like reports and guides around topics impacting potential/existing clients' businesses
    For ensuring the best service I though the main thing would be having a real knowledge about the clients industry/business issues and also being proactive in terms of interacting with clients outside of the work the firm does for them

SaaraK22

Standard Member
    Oct 18, 2018

I also really struggle with these kinds of questions so I would also be very grateful for some tips

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For improving marketing I was mainly thinking thought leadership like reports and guides around topics impacting potential/existing clients' businesses
    For ensuring the best service I though the main thing would be having a real knowledge about the clients industry/business issues and also being proactive in terms of interacting with clients outside of the work the firm does for them

That’s what’s already being done though - I think you need to think more creatively to come up with concepts on the ways in which firms could do/execute the above.

Put yourself in the position of the client. How would you expect these firms to provide this service/information/opportunity to you?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.