Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Just got this from Latham

"Dear Shane,

Thank you for completing your video interview with Latham & Watkins for a Summer Vacation Scheme.

We wanted to provide an update on the application timeline. The team is currently in the process of reviewing your video interview. Successful candidates will be invited to an assessment day at our London office, which are scheduled to take place in the weeks commencing Monday 9 March, and Monday 16 March.

Thank you for your patience. If you have any other competing offers, or are in other recruitment processes currently, we would be grateful if you could inform us by emailing the Graduate Recruitment inbox."

Any idea how much info you're supposed to give in regards to offers and interviews with other firms ? If I have a vac scheme with another firm, but the dates don't clash do I have to mention it ? Also, if I'm still waiting post VI and WG for a few firms do I mention them and are you supposed give the names of those firms ? Also, I also have another summer scheme with an international firm, but in their Brussels office..I have not intention in training/qualifying there, but is it something I need to raise.

Any insight appreciated.

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
Sorry for the long post but is anyone else a non-law student (my degree is only half law) and a little lost about what to do if you don’t get a TC offer this cycle? The SQE still doesn’t have enough info available to make any proper decisions, but if I don’t use my MA loan for the MA law (gdl) course then I’ll have to take the sqe pathway in 2021. I’ve received rejections from 3 of the 4 firms I’ve already applied too and only have a few left with later deadlines so I’m starting to doubt getting firm funding.

Even a lot of the paralegal roles I’ve seen recently require you to have done the lpc :eek:

Reactions: M1999

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Just got this from Latham

"Dear Shane,

Thank you for completing your video interview with Latham & Watkins for a Summer Vacation Scheme.

We wanted to provide an update on the application timeline. The team is currently in the process of reviewing your video interview. Successful candidates will be invited to an assessment day at our London office, which are scheduled to take place in the weeks commencing Monday 9 March, and Monday 16 March.

Thank you for your patience. If you have any other competing offers, or are in other recruitment processes currently, we would be grateful if you could inform us by emailing the Graduate Recruitment inbox."

Any idea how much info you're supposed to give in regards to offers and interviews with other firms ? If I have a vac scheme with another firm, but the dates don't clash do I have to mention it ? Also, if I'm still waiting post VI and WG for a few firms do I mention them and are you supposed give the names of those firms ? Also, I also have another summer scheme with an international firm, but in their Brussels office..I have not intention in training/qualifying there, but is it something I need to raise.

Any insight appreciated.

I have received same thing so if anyone has any advice about outstanding apps and whether to mention them?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Sorry for the long post but is anyone else a non-law student (my degree is only half law) and a little lost about what to do if you don’t get a TC offer this cycle? The SQE still doesn’t have enough info available to make any proper decisions, but if I don’t use my MA loan for the MA law (gdl) course then I’ll have to take the sqe pathway in 2021. I’ve received rejections from 3 of the 4 firms I’ve already applied too and only have a few left with later deadlines so I’m starting to doubt getting firm funding.

Even a lot of the paralegal roles I’ve seen recently require you to have done the lpc :eek:
I’m in exactly the same position. Really can’t afford to self fund the GDL, don’t think il be eligible for any scholarships, and I was thinking about the MA in law too, but it’s still a huge investment without having security of a job at the end.
I think for now I am going to try and find a temp job (hopefully something legal), save up, re apply again and then go travelling in Feb/March time. But it’s still tricky because of all the timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.