Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Hey guys, I just received an interview invite for Reed Smith's Winter Vac. Any advice/tips will be massively appreciated, as its my first time getting this far!

Congrats!

From Open Day:

You will have a case study based on a commercial contract. Will need to identify and simplify the relevant points for each party. You have an hour to prep for this, so quite a decent amount of time! (A&O is only half an hour).

Mark-up exercise to test grammar, punctuation etc.

Strengths-based interview rather than competency-based. So forward-looking and asking you how you would deal with certain situations. Look at the strengths RS want. Also. they won't probe much so you need to give all the information. Can also use examples from past experiences. Make sure you research the firm and know your motivations for commercial law and the firm.

• 🏆
Reactions: CaramelLatte and Helena

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    anyone know if you can ask Bakers for your WG test result/ or how long it takes you to hear if you have failed it (is there an automatic e-mail?)

Thanks!
    I did my Bakers WG around two days ago and received an invite to the VI today, so my turnaround time was pretty quick! I didn't get an email on whether I passed or failed before the VI invite.

CaramelLatte

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 8, 2019
    Congrats!

From Open Day:

You will have a case study based on a commercial contract. Will need to identify and simplify the relevant points for each party. You have an hour to prep for this, so quite a decent amount of time! (A&O is only half an hour).

Mark-up exercise to test grammar, punctuation etc.

Strengths-based interview rather than competency-based. So forward-looking and asking you how you would deal with certain situations. Look at the strengths RS want. Also. they won't probe much so you need to give all the information. Can also use examples from past experiences. Make sure you research the firm and know your motivations for commercial law and the firm.

Wow this is incredibly useful, thank you for the response! Regarding the case study, do you happen to know if it is tasked individually or as a group exercise? Also, the interview sounds interesting. I was informed by others around me that there is no real difference between a strength-based and competency-based interview, would you (as well as anyone else reading this) happen to confirm if this is true or not?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Wow this is incredibly useful, thank you for the response! Regarding the case study, do you happen to know if it is tasked individually or as a group exercise? Also, the interview sounds interesting. I was informed by others around me that there is no real difference between a strength-based and competency-based interview, would you (as well as anyone else reading this) happen to confirm if this is true or not?
    Hmm I think they are quite different. Stengths based really is seeing what motivates and drives you, what you enjoy doing not just what you are capable of doing while competency based focusses on the skills you have said you have - so you talk a lot about past experiences demonstrating how you performed.

Last edited:
    Reactions: J Wu

CaramelLatte

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 8, 2019
    Hmm i think they are quite different. Stengths based really is seeing what motivates and drives you, what you enjoy doing not just what you are capable of doing while competency based focusses on the skills you have said you have - so you talk a lot about past experiences demonstrating how you performed.

I see, that makes sense. I guess I'm just trying to guage what kind of questions they may ask so I can anticipate how to incorporate a STAR format in my answers. It seems though, from what you have said, that the point behind a S-based interview is to discourage this pre-rehearsed STAR format?

I will certainly share my interview experience afterwards on here haha.

Zain97

May 13, 2019
    Hi all,

I've been invited for a TC AC with CC. I don't know how I bagged that and now I'm really really stressing with the commercial element of the interview. Does anyone have any tips at all about the commercial awareness aspect and what I can be doing? A lot of people are saying being aware of current affairs, etc but what else do I need to do with this info?

Thanks!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hey, con
    Hi all,

I've been invited for a TC AC with CC. I don't know how I bagged that and now I'm really really stressing with the commercial element of the interview. Does anyone have any tips at all about the commercial awareness aspect and what I can be doing? A lot of people are saying being aware of current affairs, etc but what else do I need to do with this info?

Thanks!

Hey, congrats!
    In terms of general commercial awareness I will always recommend schogger’w commercial awareness handbook which looks at business from a legal perspective
    Alternatively stoake’s “all you need to know about the city”
    There’s also a few case studies available on TCLA !

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Do we get the Links WG report automatically or will we get it when we find out the outcome of our apps? Think I did horribly and quite keen to see how I got on because I’m slightly worried about it!

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Do we get the Links WG report automatically or will we get it when we find out the outcome of our apps? Think I did horribly and quite keen to see how I got on because I’m slightly worried about it!
    You have to request it from grad rec. I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as it seemed! It always seems worse in the moment

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.