Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
All I can say is everyone on this forum knows exactly how you’re feeling and everyone, myself included, would tell you to keep going.

Don’t be afraid to reach out to people who have progressed further to get insight into what they did well and how you can improve. Lots of virtual hugs

Thank you, that's very kind. This is my first round and it's just hard getting these after spending so long on all of this. I really wish luck to everyone else though - it's amazing to see how hard everyone works!

ithw3064

Jan 6, 2020
Thank you, that's very kind. This is my first round and it's just hard getting these after spending so long on all of this. I really wish luck to everyone else though - it's amazing to see how hard everyone works!

If this is your first cycle I would really encourage you not to get too down about it - I know that's way easier said than done, but this is coming from someone who has literally done four application cycles before even getting a VS(!). In both the partner interviews for my ACs so far this year the topic came up and I actually think it gave me a really good opportunity to show my resilience/dedication to getting the job etc. In fact in my feedback I was praised for my 'dedication to the law' (lol). If you can build a compelling narrative around experiencing rejection and how this pushed you to find ways to improve then I actually think it makes you come across very relatable and mature, but determined at the same time. Honestly if I think what has changed between my last cycle and this one where I've started to see some success it's building that narrative. Ultimately they're looking for someone who is going to stick with the job because they make such a massive investment in training you up, so actually I think experiencing rejection can sort of be a blessing in disguise - even though I absolutely know how hard it is to see it that way right now.

Sorry for essay but I'm feeling v reflective after getting my first ever post-AC acceptance yesterday! Hope this is somewhat helpful :)

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: Faye, EEE, D95 and 16 others

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    How many firms did you apply to? And is there a specific theme amongst those you chose, like a strong specific sector presence etc? Just curious :)
    Yeah I’ve tended to apply to firms who are well regarded for PE/Funds as that’s what interests me the most after my Weil vac scheme last summer :)

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    Just received an email from NRF stating all places were full - I applied for a direct TC

Got a direct TC rejection from NRF too but using "rolling basis" as a reason is rather odd in my opinion as they might as well have closed the deadline early because I applied a day before the deadline

Does that mean they recruit a certain number from the direct TC applicants and majority from VS?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hey guys I have a bit of a problem!

So I have an AC with Simmons on the 4th and one with Freshfields on the 6th and I've just received an AC invite for BCLP but the only two available days are the 4th and 6th and I'm not sure how I should handle the situation. I've emailed both firms but wondering if anyone has had this problem.

Thank you!

Hey, is the BCLP for a summer vacation scheme?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.