Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Rejected from NRF because the summer scheme is for undergrads only. Oh well!

Well, in all fairness to them, they state explicitly on their website that: "We offer three vacation schemes: the summer scheme for penultimate-year law students, and the spring and winter schemes for final-year and graduate applicants of all disciplines"

But I agree that it is frustrating - I could not apply for any winter vac schemes because I did not have any more days left on my annual leave (already took two weeks for a summer scheme I did a few months prior) and with some firms only dedicating their summer schemes to undergrads I am precluded from applying this cycle (unless for a direct TC).

m24

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys I have got a vacation scheme at DLA Piper but also have 6 more interviews with US firms.

What do I do? I do not want to reject a guaranteed vacation scheme but I also would rather do a vacation scheme at a US firm.

I would not want the dates to clash when I might have already confirmed with DLA Piper!

First of all, congratulations!

As some have mentioned, I would accept DLA and then revisit your options as you receive offers from other firms. You can always choose not to attend a vac scheme and/or reshuffle them in Spring/Summer.

One thing to consider is the TC conversion rate of the schemes. Even if you prefer the US firms, they often have many more vac scheme places than avaliable TCs, sometimes upwards of 40 or 50 for less than 10 places. On the other hand, firms with large intakes like DLA generally give offers to most of their vac schemers, so DLA is a great backup if the rest of your interviews are with US firms!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.