Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Could someone please tell me what they think are advantages of a firm growing through acquisition as opposed to merging is? A bit confused in my research and don’t want to say the wrong thing :(

If you’re comparing, it depends on the extent of the merger. Usually, some of the benefits of acquisition are:
    •Retaining brand identity
    •Quickly establishing a new presence in a new country/location
    •Quick entry into new specialities (say if it acquires a niche IP firm)
    •Reduce competition in the marketplace

Merging might be seen as riskier because:
    •Possibility that firm’s cultures clash (though this can still happen with an acquisition)
    •Disagreements on asset/profit pooling that make integration difficult
    •Can be costlier

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
    Oct 26, 2019
    If you’re comparing, it depends on the extent of the merger. Usually, some of the benefits of acquisition are:

•Possibility that firm’s cultures clash (though this can still happen with an acquisition)
    •Can be costlier
    saucy

• Haha
    Reactions: Lumree

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Oh, I also got the NRF rejection but applied 1 month before the deadline which is a bit rubbish :/

Sorry to hear about the rejection. They are very competitive.

Sending an app 1 month before the deadline isn’t too bad considering over half of applicants (including me ;)) tend to apply to firms less than a week before the deadline :) You did good!

Reactions: Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I've heard that a very common question at interviews is 'What is the business of a law firm?'. I was wondering if anyone had any effective answers they've used in their interviews.

Thanks!
    A few ways you can answer this, but to put it simply, you might want to start by thinking about how law firms are just like any other business: seeking to make a profit. You might then talk about how law firms specifically make money (they're in the service business - they get paid to provide legal services to clients), how law firms are structured, and/or the kind of legal advice that is provided by commercial law firms (within the firms you're heading to, they're often advising clients on some of the most sophisticated, complex transactions in the market).

Depending on how much detail seems right, you might touch on how they try to gain an edge in the market/the different strategies they adopt to increase profit.

Reactions: ZH and Lumree

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    For sidley’s application question: what qualities do you think would make a successful leather?
    Should I answer with multiple qualities or focus on maybe 2 or 3? And then relate them to my own personal experiences or not as the question doesn’t ask if I exhibit these qualities

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019

•Can be costlier

Thank you so much! Really helpful :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    so I’m not 100% and haven’t researched this but I think it can depend on the sizes of the businesses involved. If two companies are a similar size they may prefer to merge whereas if a firm is looking to buy just a few offices in one or two jurisdictions and they’re huge and international then an acquisition would be appropriate. You could discuss culture in mergers in the sense that the two entities or more which are fusing are all joining one new whole as opposed to one business feeling like it has to assimilate into another one through an acquisition. Does that final point make sense? Sorry my brain is fried today!!
    Thank you Alice!

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
    Jun 18, 2019
    For sidley’s application question: what qualities do you think would make a successful leather?
    Should I answer with multiple qualities or focus on maybe 2 or 3? And then relate them to my own personal experiences or not as the question doesn’t ask if I exhibit these qualities

I stuck to 3 qualities then put a brief statement saying how I had displayed those qualities

Reactions: Legal_rawn

lexiak

Star Member
    Jul 9, 2019
    Is it normal for your interviewer to ask you questions like "why weren't you applying for training contracts in your second year when everyone would have been applying?" and also to say that "you are a little old as students usually apply to us in their second year of university"? I got a rejection after this interview and they've refused to provide feedback, but was wondering whether in hindsight those are normal interview questions :/ sat here wondering if I got rejected on my age... I am 25 :/

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
    Oct 26, 2019
    Is it normal for your interviewer to ask you questions like "why weren't you applying for training contracts in your second year when everyone would have been applying?" and also to say that "you are a little old as students usually apply to us in their second year of university"? I got a rejection after this interview and they've refused to provide feedback, but was wondering whether in hindsight those are normal interview questions :/ sat here wondering if I got rejected on my age... I am 25 :/
    Did you have solid answers to the questions?

w2719a

Star Member
    Sep 9, 2019
    That seems pretty unusual to me - can I ask what firm it was? I know plenty of people over the age of 25 who have been successful. If they are judging you based on your age then A) they are breaking the law B) I wouldn't want to work for them.

MVE49

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2020
    Slaughter and May ask questions like this. They generally ask these types of questions to test how you answer uncomfortable questions under pressure. If age was an issue for the company then they wouldn’t have invited you to interview.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.