Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure the WG invitation is automatic, and then they consider your written application alongside the test score
I don't think it is automatic as it took them 2-3 weeks to send the invite and on their website the three stages are 1. application review 2. Online test 3. AC and it states that if you do well at each stage you will progress to the next stage.

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
I’ve read so many posts about HSF AC help, so I’ll do this and hopefully others who still need help will see it.

I am a science student, and got quite buggered by HSF at the start of Jan, felt really let down as I was very passionate yet got rejected because of my lack of knowledge on financial deals/business structure.

3 stages, as we all know: competency, case study, scenario, we need not discuss competency as that’s straight forward, right?

Case Study:
Read some documents, deduce potential economical/legal pitfalls within the documentation (terms, exclusivity contract etc) discuss them with the partner, you are advising him as if he is your client.
Recommendation is to structure your answer clearly, baring in mind short/medium/long term consequences and as always, try and build rapport.

Scenario:
Changes for everyone, but you are told that the client is in position X (they are in a bad situation) and need our advice, what must we consider, who is going to be affected, what is our goal (basically focus on preserving stock value, that is what the client and shareholders really care about) - I recommend researching how a business is structured, in terms of executive/non-executive directors, share-holders etc.

I hope this is clear, it may not be, but I tried.

If you are non-law, you are NOT meant to know any legal implications in any great detail, however, you are not safe from the economics/business, that was my downfall - and I think that’s unfair to be honest, but whatever, best of luck!

That's very informative and helpful James. Thanks!

I understand the feeling of putting a ton of effort into certain apps and investing so much in certain firms, only to be declined. It's never easy, but we all just need one, right? Just need one. All the best with your next AC!

Reactions: Helena and James Kitching

ithw3064

Jan 6, 2020
I don't think it is automatic as it took them 2-3 weeks to send the invite and on their website the three stages are 1. application review 2. Online test 3. AC and it states that if you do well at each stage you will progress to the next stage.

Hm I'm honestly not sure because I applied on the 7th Jan and received the test invitation on the 9th, which seems like a super quick turnaround to me. Also heard of plenty of people being rejected post-WG and IDK, to me it seems like too many people for it to be just on the basis of them not meeting the benchmark (also might be wrong again but I don't think I've heard of anyone being rejected pre-WG)...honestly who knows, what goes on behind the scenes with grad rec is a total mystery to me! Regardless, no news is good news for sure!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hm I'm honestly not sure because I applied on the 7th Jan and received the test invitation on the 9th, which seems like a super quick turnaround to me. Also heard of plenty of people being rejected post-WG and IDK, to me it seems like too many people for it to be just on the basis of them not meeting the benchmark (also might be wrong again but I don't think I've heard of anyone being rejected pre-WG)...honestly who knows, what goes on behind the scenes with grad rec is a total mystery to me! Regardless, no news is good news for sure!!
I’m pretty confident the WG is automatic for Hogan Lovells but I can’t be 100% :)

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    When did they tell you this?

I asked for my Watson Glaser report and was told:

"We are still reviewing summer vacation scheme applications currently and will start to look at training contract applications in the next few weeks so will be able to send this to you then."

This was on January 22nd.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I’m pretty confident the WG is automatic for Hogan Lovells but I can’t be 100% :)

Unlike last year, everyone sits the WG. I got it a couple of days after written app submission, sat it, then found out (sometime after) I passed the WG but failed based on written application.

• 📥
    Reactions: V25

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I spoke to their GR on an open day and they said it’s not automatic
    Unlike last year, everyone sits the WG. I got it a couple of days after written app submission, sat it, then found out (sometime after) I passed the WG but failed based on written application.

I only deduced it was automatic because I too passed the WG and was rejected based on app (think because it was admittedly too similar to last year’s) but if that’s what they said then I truly don’t know.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I only deduced it was automatic because I too passed the WG and was rejected based on app (think because it was admittedly too similar to last year’s) but if that’s what they said then I truly don’t know.
    I haven’t been told if I passed it or not and never got a confirmation email saying I had completed the test despite my portal saying test completed, is this normal?

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Thanks Alice, I applied on the deadline which was 6th Jan and I haven’t heard since. I completed the test on the 13th.. the wait is brutal! :(

This probably isn't helpful but for me, I submitted the application at 11pm, was invited to WGT at 11am the next day and then I heard a rejection two months later :eek:. Almost forgot I even applied by the time they got back to me! I know someone who heard back two months later too (this cycle) and received an AC invite so all is not lost if you wait too long!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.