Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Hahah I'd really like to know how they use the metrics from that game to assess candidates

I got through to a PwC (non-law) graduate scheme a couple of years ago prior to them using the game- it used to be a simple bunch of psychometric testing (verbal, non-verbal, numerical)- I am not sure why some employers thing they need to up their use of technology just for the sake of it.

I genuinely feel with a game you can't "play" truthfully or comfortably... because you are sitting there freaking out about what ulterior motive the company has for each game you're playing AND therefore you are playing in a different way to how you would naturally play.

Also, I'm not sure about you but the report did not reflect my personality at all

Reactions: D95

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I got through to a PwC (non-law) graduate scheme a couple of years ago prior to them using the game- it used to be a simple bunch of psychometric testing (verbal, non-verbal, numerical)- I am not sure why some employers thing they need to up their use of technology just for the sake of it.

I genuinely feel with a game you can't "play" truthfully or comfortably... because you are sitting there freaking out about what ulterior motive the company has for each game you're playing AND therefore you are playing in a different way to how you would naturally play.

Also, I'm not sure about you but the report did not reflect my personality at all

I have just done the same game for Taylor Vinters - honestly, I quite preferred it to the standard psychometric testing, but of course I had to bomb the "logical sequence" thingy at the end and my aptitude score that I received in the report was not that great (truthfully, it was shambles).

I expect a rejection now because of this which is a shame because I truly like the firm.

(Funny thing is that I once tested the lawyers that I am working with on one of these silly psychometric tests and all of them failed miserably - and I am speaking of people who have years of legal experience and solid reputation, so I wonder how these tests really reflect one's capabilities as an aspiring solicitor? I can see them as nothing else but a tool for HR to filter down the number of candidates, sorry.)

EvaK

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 19, 2019

It sounds like PwC use the exact same game as Taylor Wessing. Did you also have to match adjectives to (computer-generated) facial expressions? ;) TW also claim the score doesn't matter but I somehow doubt that. I only scored around 7,500 and I haven't (yet) been invited to the next stage while other people who took the test after me have. Also, no idea if and how I'm supposed to reapply next year if they still use the game; should I spend the next 12-months practising opening safes and blowing up balloons? Great use of my time and legal skills.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
I have just done the same game for Taylor Vinters - honestly, I quite preferred it to the standard psychometric testing, but of course I had to bomb the "logical sequence" thingy at the end and my aptitude score that I received in the report was not that great (truthfully, it was shambles).

I expect a rejection now because of this which is a shame because I truly like the firm.

(Funny thing is that I once tested the lawyers that I am working with on one of these silly psychometric tests and all of them failed miserably - and I am speaking of people who have years of legal experience and solid reputation, so I wonder how these tests really reflect one's capabilities as an aspiring solicitor? I can see them as nothing else but a tool for HR to filter down the number of candidates, sorry.)
What are your thoughts on Watson Glaser?

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

I personally don't think psychometric testing is any more effective/representative of my personality.

EvaK

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 19, 2019

Agreed! I'm also quite convinced that people who game have a considerable advantage (reaction speed, hand-eye coordination etc), in spite of what the firms say.

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
It sounds like PwC use the exact same game as Taylor Wessing. Did you also have to match adjectives to (computer-generated) facial expressions? ;) TW also claim the score doesn't matter but I somehow doubt that. I only scored around 7,500 and I haven't (yet) been invited to the next stage while other people who took the test after me have. Also, no idea if and how I'm supposed to reapply next year if they still use the game; should I spend the next 12-months practising opening safes and blowing up balloons? Great use of my time and legal skills.

Is it the Arctic Shores one? If so yes that is what PwC use! The funny thing is they say on the rejection email to reapply next year. I guess if you're really committed to that particular firm you have no choice but to keep applying and trying to get through the game! A catch 22.

I have e-mail grad recruitment, I doubt that will do anything though.

Sadly I think If I am unsuccessful this year I will start putting into consideration the recruitment techniques before applying to firms :/

Reactions: EvaK

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
What are your thoughts on Watson Glaser?

Well, I generally despise all psychometric testing, so... :)

My scores for WG vary between 20th percentile to 80th percentile, I honestly think that it is mostly down to luck.

I also know that my feelings about psychometric tests are mostly due to the fact that this is the stage where many of my applications fail and so I have actually started targeting law firms which do not use this in their application process. I am quite tired of someone trying to tell me that just because I can't see a pattern in some random shapes, that I am not fit to be a lawyer. But maybe I'm wrong and skills like blowing balloons are now essential prerequisites for entering legal profession.

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Well, I generally despise all psychometric testing, so... :)

My scores for WG vary between 20th percentile to 80th percentile, I honestly think that it is mostly down to luck.

I also know that my feelings about psychometric tests are mostly due to the fact that this is the stage where many of my applications fail and so I have actually started targeting law firms which do not use this in their application process. I am quite tired of someone trying to tell me that just because I can't see a pattern in some random shapes, that I am not fit to be a lawyer. But maybe I'm wrong and skills like blowing balloons are now essential prerequisites for entering legal profession.
I heard that blowing up balloons is particularly good for client relations.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    So far I’ve been rejected by Eversheds, PwC and SPB (post-VI) and I’m still waiting on Mishcon, Shearman, Gibson Dunn, Charles Russell Speechlys, Travers, Mayer Brown (post-tests) and Links! Anyone else still waiting?

Reactions: ZH
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.