Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I agree! It's also quite problematic for those who don't know people who have reached AC in that cycle (this may especially be the case if you are from a non Russel Group uni). The solution to this would be for each AC to have different case study materials/facts, but I believe a lack of resources for HR makes this difficult.

I am sorry to hear that was your experience during that AC, I really hope that didn't knock your confidence, although completely understandable if it did.

lots of firms have multiple assessment centres materials because of this.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A good assessment would be difficult to “cheat” on even if you were given percentages/calculations. You are not going to get assessed on whether you could work out the calculation, you are going to get assessed on expressing why the calculation is relevant/important.

Typically in case studies there are far too many points for an individual to either pick up in the timeframe, or present back in their discussion with their assessor. Therefore, just going on what someone else told you they spoke about is very short sighted. 1) they could be wrong (even if they got the job) and 2) they might not have picked up the most relevant or important parts of the case study. Added to that, if you can’t think beyond the immediate answer, you’ll look pretty one dimensional in the follow up discussions, and that’s assuming you will be asked the same questions as the informant.

I’ve seen plenty of times on assessment feedback forms where something along the line of “pretty sure they were given the context of the assessment ahead of day, and were over-prepared” is noted. As a facilitator, I have also flagged when I thought someone was “cheating” (eg using their phone/pre made notes) or felt they had somehow prepared ahead of the assessment.

For anyone who is really trying to drill down into the specifics “answers” of a case study - you are not thinking like a lawyer. This is sometimes my criticism of questions I receive on here - people are looking for these cookie cutter answers they think will bring success, and it really doesn’t work like that.

You need to present your own “analysis” whether on an application form or at interview. You need to respond with the information you are presented with, not someone else’s.

Finally, these people are just creating more work for HR teams. It’s often why they have to re-write AC materials each cycle (which isn’t cheap or quick to do). Although to be fair, they often have to be replaced as candidates may have seen the materials last cycle too.

Lottie98

Standard Member
Jan 17, 2020
Hello! Has anyone completed the PwC legal video interview? It’s called Career Conversation. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, as I haven’t done this before and would really like to do well! Thanks in advance :)

• 🏆
Reactions: SYNOKA

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
A good assessment would be difficult to “cheat” on even if you were given percentages/calculations. You are not going to get assessed on whether you could work out the calculation, you are going to get assessed on expressing why the calculation is relevant/important.

Typically in case studies there are far too many points for an individual to either pick up in the timeframe, or present back in their discussion with their assessor. Therefore, just going on what someone else told you they spoke about is very short sighted. 1) they could be wrong (even if they got the job) and 2) they might not have picked up the most relevant or important parts of the case study. Added to that, if you can’t think beyond the immediate answer, you’ll look pretty one dimensional in the follow up discussions, and that’s assuming you will be asked the same questions as the informant.

I’ve seen plenty of times on assessment feedback forms where something along the line of “pretty sure they were given the context of the assessment ahead of day, and were over-prepared” is noted. As a facilitator, I have also flagged when I thought someone was “cheating” (eg using their phone/pre made notes) or felt they had somehow prepared ahead of the assessment.

For anyone who is really trying to drill down into the specifics “answers” of a case study - you are not thinking like a lawyer. This is sometimes my criticism of questions I receive on here - people are looking for these cookie cutter answers they think will bring success, and it really doesn’t work like that.

You need to present your own “analysis” whether on an application form or at interview. You need to respond with the information you are presented with, not someone else’s.

Finally, these people are just creating more work for HR teams. It’s often why they have to re-write AC materials each cycle (which isn’t cheap or quick to do). Although to be fair, they often have to be replaced as candidates may have seen the materials last cycle too.

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing this

Sara

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 17, 2018
I've just been invited to the next stage for Pwc. This is a massive shock as I thought that game went awful. Anyone have any tips? It says the duration is 50 minutes!!

Hi I've gotten the same. Do you happen to know when the deadline to do it is. I can't seem to find the information anywhere

Al1793

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Has anyone heard back from the following firms?

Linklaters - Direct TC
Freshfields - London Asia TC
Simmons & Simmons - Summer VS
Hogan Lovells - Direct TC
Mayer Brown - Direct TC

I applied to Linklaters in October and still nothing! Also not a word from Freshfields... Took Mayer Brown's tests in Jan and still waiting to hear back, despite having also applied in October for a direct TC. (Did hear of someone who was rejected from Freshfields last month though, so they have definitely started getting back to people already).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.