Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVE49

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
I did a VS at Slaughters last year and I'd say that their conversion rate is pretty high. Only 4 people out of the entire 20+ on my VS didn't get the TC. One thing I will say is the TC interview at the end of the vac is the exact same as the normal TC interview direct applicants do.

Although you're guaranteed the TC interview, you are expected to re-submit an updated CV and a CL through their application portal. (you don't have to change anything if you don't want to but I guess there is an expectation that you will since you now know more about the firm after the VS). And you do the one hour case study just like direct TC applicants do.

Because the scheme is unassessed (i.e. you don't submit work throughout the VS that gets marked by anyone) most of the decision on whether or not you get a TC is based on the case study and final interview. So as long as you perform during those and don't have glaring attitude problems or anything during the scheme, I'd say your chances of conversion are p good.
That’s interesting because my vac scheme last year had a relatively low conversion rate (around 50%) and they’re generally known for being lower than other firms. It obviously depends on the individuals on the schemes.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Dheepa

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Dechert has already accepted people for Spring schemes, though I'm not sure if spaces are filled yet. I made it past VI and have been invited to Dechert AC, scheduled for this week.

I submitted Dechert on the deadline (31 Jan), a couple hours before.

I wonder if anyone can give me some tips on Dechert AC?' I'd be most grateful. Thank you!
Did you submit the video interview on the 31st or the application?

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Sorry another question from me - I am frantically prepping for an interview :D. Does anyone know what resources I could use to come up to an answer for 'what white & case's strategy from 2020 onwards should be?' Should i be focusing on areas in which they are not as strong, or haven't strengthened as much in their 2020 strategy, or should I not draw attention to that and more continue focusing on the positives? E.g. continue expanding practice in M&A until they are on par with MC or something along those lines

tylergab

Junior Lawyer
Sep 7, 2018
Dechert has already accepted people for Spring schemes, though I'm not sure if spaces are filled yet. I made it past VI and have been invited to Dechert AC, scheduled for this week.

I submitted Dechert on the deadline (31 Jan), a couple hours before.

I wonder if anyone can give me some tips on Dechert AC?' I'd be most grateful. Thank you!
My AC with Dechert was 24th Jan - Drop me a message, happy to share some tips:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.