Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM

Jan 31, 2020
I’ve always wondered this and just filled them in without reading just in case but I highly doubt it actually makes a difference. I would say it would be worse now to contact GR about something like that so just hope for the best, pretty sure it’ll be fine

Yeah I think I'll just leave it and hope the score is not influenced by the example questions. Wouldn't really make sense if it is but you never know!

Reactions: Jai C.

20_AH

Standard Member
Feb 18, 2020
Hey everyone! I'm new here and seem to have a bit of a dilemma! I graduated ages ago from uni and I've worked for 3 years in PE/finance and have been applying to firm but I keep getting rejected. The problem is that I got a 2.2 as my undergrad degree. Does anyone have any advice or any personal experiences to keep me going? I'm feeling so down right now and completely regret how I messed up my undergrad degree but law is my passion! Any advice is welcome :(

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Has anyone read any good books recently or listened to any podcasts that are especially good for debates surrounding current affairs or sort of big overarching ideas that are current? Just been thinking how I can best prepare for an article discussion and figured this might be a decent approach alongside my general news reading etc :)

Investors Chronicle (on spotify) is always really good for ongoings with companies/markets - doesn't overcomplicate it either!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm having second thoughts about the strategy I used to complete a WG test.

I decided not to complete the example questions as I had already done them in a previous practice round by myself the day before so I skipped through them as to maximise my time focusing on the actual questions, but now I'm wondering if my score might be affected by the fact I left the example questions blank (even though the correct response is directly beneath them)?

Sorry I know this is kind of a stupid question but I would hate to not be considered because of such a silly mistake :(. What do you guys recommend? To simply leave it or to ask Grad Rec about it?

Practice questions are not part of the assessment - really don't worry about it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: GM

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! I'm new here and seem to have a bit of a dilemma! I graduated ages ago from uni and I've worked for 3 years in PE/finance and have been applying to firm but I keep getting rejected. The problem is that I got a 2.2 as my undergrad degree. Does anyone have any advice or any personal experiences to keep me going? I'm feeling so down right now and completely regret how I messed up my undergrad degree but law is my passion! Any advice is welcome :(

Any ext circs to the 2.2? Feel free to PM me if its better to do so.

If there are no ext circs, to be frank a City training contract will be exceptionally difficult to obtain. Most firms will have a 2.1 as a minimum requirement.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah I think I'll just leave it and hope the score is not influenced by the example questions. Wouldn't really make sense if it is but you never know!

There is no chance whatsoever of the practice questions affecting your score.

Reactions: GM

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    Has anyone read any good books recently or listened to any podcasts that are especially good for debates surrounding current affairs or sort of big overarching ideas that are current? Just been thinking how I can best prepare for an article discussion and figured this might be a decent approach alongside my general news reading etc :)

I've heard BBC World Business Report on Spotify is helpful. Otherwise, I definitely recommend the Big Reads and Lex in the FT.

Reactions: Alice G and Jai C.

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019
    I'm having second thoughts about the strategy I used to complete a WG test.

I decided not to complete the example questions as I had already done them in a previous practice round by myself the day before so I skipped through them as to maximise my time focusing on the actual questions, but now I'm wondering if my score might be affected by the fact I left the example questions blank (even though the correct response is directly beneath them)?

Sorry I know this is kind of a stupid question but I would hate to not be considered because of such a silly mistake :(. What do you guys recommend? To simply leave it or to ask Grad Rec about it?

hey, I don't think it matters at all. I always left the practice ones blank and passed the WG's most of the time!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Eva, Alice G and GM
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.