Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
If I wrote in my cover letter that I was applying for a summer vacation scheme but ticked the spring vacation scheme option on my form, they are considering me for spring right? Do I need to email grad rec to confirm and point out my mistake? The interview is tomorrow. I realise this is such a stupid mistake but I cannot attend the summer vacation scheme and I really want this firm!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I wrote in my cover letter that I was applying for a summer vacation scheme but ticked the spring vacation scheme option on my form, they are considering me for spring right? Do I need to email grad rec to confirm and point out my mistake? The interview is tomorrow. I realise this is such a stupid mistake but I cannot attend the summer vacation scheme and I really want this firm!

I’d call them to discuss.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
interesting, is it likely to have risen since?

doubt it will be a significant rise. It could have also dropped though!

that isn’t offer rate, that’s acceptance rate. Freshfields will always lose vac schemers they want to offer to other firms (like most other city firms).

when I was there, offer rates were about 80-85% but it always dropped depending on the decline rate.

There’s so many variables in why those figures end up being what they are, I wouldn’t try to second guess it nor think about how that might impact your application/your decisions.

juswantavacscheme

Dec 28, 2019
doubt it will be a significant rise. It could have also dropped though!

that isn’t offer rate, that’s acceptance rate. Freshfields will always lose vac schemers they want to offer to other firms (like most other city firms).

when I was there, offer rates were about 80-85% but it always dropped depending on the decline rate.

There’s so many variables in why those figures end up being what they are, I wouldn’t try to second guess it nor think about how that might impact your application/your decisions.
Ah I get you, read it as 60-75 being the offer rate. As someone with a VS there this summer, 80%+ is a nice number to hear.

While on the subject, do you have any advice on how to make I get the offer on the VS? Is it primarily based on general feedback, or tasks set, or interviews etc and is there anything non-obvious which is actually an important factor? I appreciate you left the firm a while ago, but this is probably the best advice for this specific VS I can get, so I really appreciate it.

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
I've realised on one of my applications which I've completed a VI for (still waiting to hear back), that I put fluent in Spanish for writing, but on speaking it says Basic. This was a mistake - I meant to put fluent. Should I just leave this and hope they don't notice or should I let them know? And if so, by telephone or by email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah I get you, read it as 60-75 being the offer rate. As someone with a VS there this summer, 80%+ is a nice number to hear.

While on the subject, do you have any advice on how to make I get the offer on the VS? Is it primarily based on general feedback, or tasks set, or interviews etc and is there anything non-obvious which is actually an important factor? I appreciate you left the firm a while ago, but this is probably the best advice for this specific VS I can get, so I really appreciate it.

They don’t think “we’ll offer 80% of our interns each summer”. It really doesn’t work like that...

Ultimately, if no one met the grade they wouldn’t offer anyone. If everyone met the grade, they would offer everyone.

The only general number that influences YOUR individual chances of converting to a TC is whether the firm offers more TC than VS places.

Some useful articles on how to best to approach vacation schemes:

https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/car.../turn-vacation-scheme-into-training-contract/

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/convert-your-vacation-scheme-into-a-training-contract/

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/w...r/eight-ways-to-make-the-most-of-a-vac-scheme

I'll see if I can drag out any of my old posts about this though

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Stark
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.