Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Secured a phone interview with NRF post-WG! Any tips?

Hey have your application in front of you - they will ask you something about it. Also very important study their practice areas and study any news in the world that may affect their practice areas [they will most likely ask you to say an event/news and how it affects them]. If I remember correctly they also asked to give them an example of a time you were under pressure and what you did. They will ask you the standard question: Is there a question that you have for them. I think they will also ask you of a time you had to achieve a result [or something like that, sorry its been awhile cant remember all they asked]. Enjoy

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Rejection post interview for Squires Patton Boggs.

Had some feedback regarding my performance, and left feeling a bit frustrated. Honestly thought that the AC couldn’t have gone better, and my feedback was all positive which is confusing as I was rejected.

The one negative was that I didnt do well on a strengths based competency question - but I was not asked any competency questions in my interview.

Perhaps the implied feedback was that the firm isn’t for me - but I was strongly advised to apply for the Winter scheme which has sent me a mixed message.

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019

Had some feedback regarding my performance, and left feeling a bit frustrated. Honestly thought that the AC couldn’t have gone better, and my feedback was all positive which is confusing as I was rejected.

The one negative was that I didnt do well on a strengths based competency question - but I was not asked any competency questions in my interview.

Perhaps the implied feedback was that the firm isn’t for me - but I was strongly advised to apply for the Winter scheme which has sent me a mixed message.

Sorry my friend - you know what you have to do right? Just pick yourself up and apply again perhaps to their winter scheme or to another firm

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

That's strange you got no negative feedback - I would have asked why you didn't get it. Sounds like you were almost there though, so definitely keep on trying!

• 🤝
Reactions: M&ALawyer

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Sorry my friend - you know what you have to do right? Just pick yourself up and apply again perhaps to their winter scheme or to another firm

Thanks mate - it’s certainly a case of making more applications and waiting to get there. I try not let rejections get to me, and usually I completely understand the feedback/rationale for a decision as it can be competitive.

In this case though I am really lost onto what I did wrong and what I can do to improve in the future - which is just incredibly frustrating!

• 🤝
Reactions: Aurochschiette and NickMcK

GM

Jan 31, 2020
Hey have your application in front of you - they will ask you something about it. Also very important study their practice areas and study any news in the world that may affect their practice areas [they will most likely ask you to say an event/news and how it affects them]. If I remember correctly they also asked to give them an example of a time you were under pressure and what you did. They will ask you the standard question: Is there a question that you have for them. I think they will also ask you of a time you had to achieve a result [or something like that, sorry its been awhile cant remember all they asked]. Enjoy

Thank you so much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.