Hi all, fortunately been offered a VS with a US law firm.. how hard is to get a TC from this position?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Decent chance but really depends on the firm and their ratio of vacation scheme students to training contract places.

And then obviously how much effort you put in/how you perform too.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Hey!

I think it varies a lot from firm to firm - factors such as trainee intake, vac scheme intake, whether they consider direct TC applications alongside VS candidates will impact this.

Definitely don't lose hope though. Everyone in my summer VS at a US firm was offered the TC - just focus on your own performance and try your best! good luck :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Query pretty much covered by the title

Hey!

I think it varies a lot from firm to firm - factors such as trainee intake, vac scheme intake, whether they consider direct TC applications alongside VS candidates will impact this.

Definitely don't lose hope though. Everyone in my summer VS at a US firm was offered the TC - just focus on your own performance and try your best! good luck :)

Hi @jimmyob,

I completely agree with @33c here. I did a scheme at both White & Case and Akin Gump, and the vast majority of people got offers from my schemes. However, I know that this varies between firms, so there is no hard and fast rule.

I really like what @33c has said about focusing on yourself. Do not worry about what others are doing (and/or saying that they are doing- as these can often be very different things(!)). Be yourself and do your best: what others are doing is not relevant.

I really hope that it goes well for you. Please do reach out if you would like any help or advice before/during/after the scheme!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.