Hill Dickinson 2020/2021

Sara

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 17, 2018
Had my interview just now, only spoke 8 minutes so I feel it was too short but we'll see. They said Grad recruitment would be in contact the week commencing 8th March to tell us what the next step is. Cause of how late it is. I think the next step is the insight scheme.

How did other people find it?

Reactions: KiranJ and Num

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
I only spoke for about 8-9 minutes so I think that's quite standard! I already felt like I was rambling too much so I guess they don't expect us to use the full 20?

I thought it was okay although I did get thrown off as to how non-conversational it was! In hindsight I should have probably made some more points but oh well

Reactions: Num

Gs4

Star Member
Feb 18, 2021
I just had mine and I thought it was awful. I messed up on the second and third questions, I sort of saw their faces drop. Mine was only 8 minutes long and they asked if I had anything to add to my answers. It was my first interview, so feeling quite disheartened. Expecting a PFO soon!

Num

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2021
Had my interview just now, only spoke 8 minutes so I feel it was too short but we'll see. They said Grad recruitment would be in contact the week commencing 8th March to tell us what the next step is. Cause of how late it is. I think the next step is the insight scheme.

I feel like every person that has had it so far the general timings are around 8-10 mins so I wouldn’t worry!! I know people that got through with that too! Good luck on the next steps!
I did try to clarify with them if there’s a written exercise or straight insight scheme but they didn’t respond :/

Num

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2021
I just had mine and I thought it was awful. I messed up on the second and third questions, I sort of saw their faces drop. Mine was only 8 minutes long and they asked if I had anything to add to my answers. It was my first interview, so feeling quite disheartened. Expecting a PFO soon!
I wouldn’t worry! Majority seem to be completing it under that time anyway so 🤞🤞 - if you don’t mind what sort of questions threw you off? Mines in a few days and although I feel confident I’m nervous on any out the blue questions and how I can tie in my commercial awareness!

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Don't worry at all! I think I definitely slipped up a bit too and I think it's normal to feel that way after an interview, but you never know what they were thinking! It's good experience regardless :) Mine was also around 8 minutes and I dont feel like I could have taken any longer without my answers sounding really dragged on!

I wouldn’t worry! Majority seem to be completing it under that time anyway so 🤞🤞 - if you don’t mind what sort of questions threw you off? Mines in a few days and although I feel confident I’m nervous on any out the blue questions and how I can tie in my commercial awareness!
I think for me it wasn't the questions exactly which threw me off, it was more that I perform better in more conversational interviews and this one was much more structured!

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021

Hi! I was just wondering, which office location/sector did you apply to? I was told end of March so I was just wondering if perhaps they're going to get back to different offices/sectors at different times :)

Gs4

Star Member
Feb 18, 2021
Don't worry at all! I think I definitely slipped up a bit too and I think it's normal to feel that way after an interview, but you never know what they were thinking! It's good experience regardless :) Mine was also around 8 minutes and I dont feel like I could have taken any longer without my answers sounding really dragged on!

I think for me it wasn't the questions exactly which threw me off, it was more that I perform better in more conversational interviews and this one was much more structured!
That is true I suppose, thank you! I have another interview next week so hoping that experiencing this interview first will help.

I applied for Manchester Health stream and was told we would hear back by the 8th March :)

Reactions: ab1147

Sara

Star Member
Premium Member
Apr 17, 2018
Hi! I was just wondering, which office location/sector did you apply to? I was told end of March so I was just wondering if perhaps they're going to get back to different offices/sectors at different times :)
It was healthcare Manchester office. Yeah I think cause the London schemes later they hear later as well

Reactions: ab1147

Num

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2021
Hi guys. We’re the questions similar to previous years’?
Hey! From what I’ve read it’s basically more about the firm and route (so presuming typical why HD, commercial questions and role of the lawyer/in that sector). There’s no strength/competency based questions. When is yours if you don’t mind me asking I can add to thread once I’ve done mine if it’s after it! :)

Reactions: ab1147 and katie.c

katie.c

Oct 7, 2020
Hey! From what I’ve read it’s basically more about the firm and route (so presuming typical why HD, commercial questions and role of the lawyer/in that sector). There’s no strength/competency based questions. When is yours if you don’t mind me asking I can add to thread once I’ve done mine if it’s after it! :)
Hey! If you don't mind that would be really helpful! I have an interview on Thursday. :)

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
Feb 10, 2021
Thanks! Sounds really similar to last year then which is a relief. Mine is on Thursday, best of luck with yours 😊

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
It went okay! It's not very conversational at all and it's much more structured. It was 3 questions like they said, and I didn't use the full 20 minutes either, I probably used just under 10? I honestly have no idea how i've done, but I think if you just make sure you research loads about the firm and what it means to be a lawyer then you will be fine!
Hi! Thanks for the information.. can I ask whether they had any question specific to the pathway chosen, i.e. health?

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
Thankyou! I probably shouldn't disclose the specific questions, but for me there wasn't much focus on situational/competency based questions and it was more to do with knowledge of the firm/commercial awareness. I'm not sure if this will differ by office location/sector though, as it was the associates asking me the questions. For reference, my interview was for Health in the london office :)
Hey - thanks for this. Could you clarify on commercial awareness if you feel comfortable? I.e. was it specific to your sector? Or general Qs on why commercial law?

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hi! Thanks for the information.. can I ask whether they had any question specific to the pathway chosen, i.e. health?
Definitely be prepared to talk about your sector specifically! Some people I've spoken to have had different questions relevant to their sector than me, so I think the kind of question you will get will depend on your interviewer! My advice would be to really research your sector and be prepared to talk about it in a range of contexts :)

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
Definitely be prepared to talk about your sector specifically! Some people I've spoken to have had different questions relevant to their sector than me, so I think the kind of question you will get will depend on your interviewer! My advice would be to really research your sector and be prepared to talk about it in a range of contexts :)
Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.