Hill Dickinson 2020/2021

Leightoncass

Distinguished Member
Mar 23, 2021
I don't understand how some people are so ahead of others in the process. Even people within the London office seem to be at varying stages with some still waiting to hear back weeks after the interview and others waiting for the result of the written exercise.

Leightoncass

Distinguished Member
Mar 23, 2021
If it helps, I was unsuccessful after the interview last year. I went away and worked on the little things that held me back to make myself a stronger candidate this year. It might not seem like it but trust me when I say that I grafted for these offers. 😅

Do you mind if I ask at what stage you are in your life in general? Are you still in Uni or working? I'm a post-graduate student and I'm already applying for training contracts in 2023, so if I don't manage to get one now I'll have to apply next year for 2024 which is ages away. I wish I had the luxury to still be in uni and say 'oh its fine I'll just work on it and re-apply next year' 😬

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Do you mind if I ask at what stage you are in your life in general? Are you still in Uni or working? I'm a post-graduate student and I'm already applying for training contracts in 2023, so if I don't manage to get one now I'll have to apply next year for 2024 which is ages away. I wish I had the luxury to still be in uni and say 'oh its fine I'll just work on it and re-apply next year' 😬
I'm in my final year studying law. I'm a 31 year old career changer though, so reapplying this year really wasn't ideal for me either.

• 🤝
Reactions: Leightoncass

panzerfahrer

Star Member
Feb 12, 2021
I don't understand how some people are so ahead of others in the process. Even people within the London office seem to be at varying stages with some still waiting to hear back weeks after the interview and others waiting for the result of the written exercise.
I think it's because some people are applying for the insight scheme and others are straight TC (I'm straight-TC for London) - and the final panel interviews take place simultaneously for both insight and straight TC, so the insight schemers have to be allocated first! That's the only thing I can think of...

Leightoncass

Distinguished Member
Mar 23, 2021
I think it's because some people are applying for the insight scheme and others are straight TC (I'm straight-TC for London) - and the final panel interviews take place simultaneously for both insight and straight TC, so the insight schemers have to be allocated first! That's the only thing I can think of...
I'm straight TC London, same sector as you & had my interview two days before you & still no response haha. Idk why I'm obsessing over it so much though. Probs b/c I only have three other apps pending - one which I've been told I'll hear back in May & two which are still open and won't close till June :( It's just frustrating now knowing what you'll be doing in September (not so far away). I'm sure many of you share the sentiment :/

panzerfahrer

Star Member
Feb 12, 2021
I'm straight TC London, same sector as you & had my interview two days before you & still no response haha. Idk why I'm obsessing over it so much though. Probs b/c I only have three other apps pending - one which I've been told I'll hear back in May & two which are still open and won't close till June :( It's just frustrating now knowing what you'll be doing in September (not so far away). I'm sure many of you share the sentiment :/

I really wouldn't compare - I'm 25 and I'm career-changing from the maritime industry into law - and only going for shipping firms. Also only have done two apps and I have GDL exams coming up so am just hoping one of them bears fruit! If you're really interested in shipping feel free to DM me, I can attest that doing something else for a few years is not a bad thing at all. Work osmosis is a real thing. Getting industry experience is a plus and if you're gonna be in shipping law for the next 30 years you might as well see if you like talkin about boats, the benefits of different fuel oils etc etc

Reactions: Leightoncass

Lancasterlaww

Mar 12, 2021
Is anyone else who got the vac scheme offer still doing undergrad? I'm only at my 2nd year of law and it really scares me that I will be competing against postgrads with years of experience during the scheme ://

Leightoncass

Distinguished Member
Mar 23, 2021
I really wouldn't compare - I'm 25 and I'm career-changing from the maritime industry into law - and only going for shipping firms. Also only have done two apps and I have GDL exams coming up so am just hoping one of them bears fruit! If you're really interested in shipping feel free to DM me, I can attest that doing something else for a few years is not a bad thing at all. Work osmosis is a real thing. Getting industry experience is a plus and if you're gonna be in shipping law for the next 30 years you might as well see if you like talkin about boats, the benefits of different fuel oils etc etc
Oh I see that's cool. Yep I've only applied to shipping firms too. Doing my master's in shipping law and I love talking about ships. I have no one to talk about them to but oh well. I bet you anything we have applied to some of the same firms too- I'm very curious now if I am correct.
Oh also yes I start my exams next week and don't finish until June when I also have to submit my diss. That's why I too am hoping one bears fruit b/c I don't really have the time to do more apps. :(

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Is anyone else who got the vac scheme offer still doing undergrad? I'm only at my 2nd year of law and it really scares me that I will be competing against postgrads with years of experience during the scheme ://
Honestly, I wouldn't look at it that way. It isn't healthy to compare journeys like that. The recruiters have seen enough potential in you for you to get to this stage. You have as good a chance at converting as anybody else. And if you don't make it then at least you have a little more experience to help you next year!

Just make sure that you absorb information on the insight day so that you can talk confidently in the interview afterwards.

Reactions: Lancasterlaww

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.