Hill Dickinson 2020/2021

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I also received a PFO and was quite disappointed but at the same I had a look at my written exercise, and it wasn't amazing... Anyway, not to hijack the thread for those who secured the insight scheme but I was wondering if someone knew whether it was possible to reapply next year and whether I would need to completely reword my application (besides updating it)?

Many thanks,

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    I also received a PFO and was quite disappointed but at the same I had a look at my written exercise, and it wasn't amazing... Anyway, not to hijack the thread for those who secured the insight scheme but I was wondering if someone knew whether it was possible to reapply next year and whether I would need to completely reword my application (besides updating it)?

Many thanks,
    Hi, I’m sorry to hear that! This year has been really competitive for all firms.

I made it right through to the end last year but didn’t manage to secure a TC from the scheme. They were really keen on me applying again this year and I have got the scheme again. I did reword my application, but they also added another question anyway! When it came to the ones that were the same from last year I immediately saw areas to improve etc so I do think it will come naturally/won’t be a chore to polish your application again. (I kept the work experience section the same other than adding in bits I had done inbetween the rejection and re applying)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Andrew M and MLF

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi, I’m sorry to hear that! This year has been really competitive for all firms.

I made it right through to the end last year but didn’t manage to secure a TC from the scheme. They were really keen on me applying again this year and I have got the scheme again. I did reword my application, but they also added another question anyway! When it came to the ones that were the same from last year I immediately saw areas to improve etc so I do think it will come naturally/won’t be a chore to polish your application again. (I kept the work experience section the same other than adding in bits I had done inbetween the rejection and re applying)

Hope that helps!
    Thanks I'm glad to hear that we can re-apply, some firms prohibit it so ...That's really helpful thank you, and good luck to secure a TC this time around ! :)

Reactions: liverpoollawyer

Mr paralegal

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2018

Hope that helps!
    Hi, I will be taking part in the marine insight scheme in London. Would you mind sharing your panel interview experience last year. What types of questions did they ask and I have heard part of the interview involved preparing a 10 minute presentation?

Many thanks

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    Hi, I will be taking part in the marine insight scheme in London. Would you mind sharing your panel interview experience last year. What types of questions did they ask and I have heard part of the interview involved preparing a 10 minute presentation?

Many thanks
    Hi, well done for getting the scheme!

Yes of course. So last year we were given a choice of three(?) topics to create a ten minute presentation on, the topics were fairly broad and easy to choose, ie I didn’t feel ‘stuck’ with the one I did and I could find plenty to talk about. Don’t think too much into it I think everyone puts their own twists on the topics. We did this at the start of the interview then they asked a couple questions on the presentation, then it was just a classic law firm interview some strengths based questions and some on your motivations. Hope that helps 😊

Reactions: Mr paralegal

Mr paralegal

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 26, 2018

Yes of course. So last year we were given a choice of three(?) topics to create a ten minute presentation on, the topics were fairly broad and easy to choose, ie I didn’t feel ‘stuck’ with the one I did and I could find plenty to talk about. Don’t think too much into it I think everyone puts their own twists on the topics. We did this at the start of the interview then they asked a couple questions on the presentation, then it was just a classic law firm interview some strengths based questions and some on your motivations. Hope that helps 😊
    Thanks a lot, that's really helpful! I am sure this time round you will secure a TC.

• 🤝
    Reactions: liverpoollawyer

Lancasterlaww

Mar 12, 2021
    Does anyone know why Hill Dickinson's insight scheme is called insight scheme and not vac scheme? Even the recruitment website sometimes calls it a vac scheme. Would it be wrong to put on Linkedin as a "summer vacation scheme"? I feel like if I put it as "insight" most people would get an impression that I'm posting about an insight day or something like that, which doesn't really reflect the application process that we went through.

Reactions: philjones

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Does anyone know why Hill Dickinson's insight scheme is called insight scheme and not vac scheme? Even the recruitment website sometimes calls it a vac scheme. Would it be wrong to put on Linkedin as a "summer vacation scheme"? I feel like if I put it as "insight" most people would get an impression that I'm posting about an insight day or something like that, which doesn't really reflect the application process that we went through.
    They call it an insight scheme rather than a vac scheme because it's only one day, with an interview afterwards. They used to have a proper vac scheme but changed it last year to this format. Which is probably why some of their material still refers to a vac scheme.

Christina93

Jul 1, 2020

Hey - How long did you have to prepare for the presentation?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.