Hogan Lovells Interview 2022

Elizabeth K

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 6, 2021
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2022

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2022

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

Virtual AC
9:45am: Brief welcome and icebreakers with graduate recruitment and other interviewees
10am: Group Q&A with current trainees
10:30am: Case study preparation time
11am: Situational judgement interview with an associate and member of graduate recruitment
12am: Competency and case study interview with two partners

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Case Study - 30 minutes to read through a case of a client's business and prepare answers to some questions.
Situational judgement interview - 45 minute interview going through different trainee situations and was asked my response to them.
Partner Case Study and Competency Interview - 1 hour on motivational questions and questions on the case.

Please list any interview questions you were asked.

Why a law degree?
Why commercial law?
Why Hogan Lovells?
What makes Hogan Lovells different to other firms?
What would be the most challenging thing about a training contract?

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Group Q&A with current trainees: Prepare some genuine questions for the trainees and seem interested and engaged with the conversation. Although it is not assessed you are being watched by graduate recruitment and only those who were engaged were successful. You don't need to have a big personality or speak the most but just be naturally involved.

Situational judgement interview: Ask them how they are and listen to their introductions so you can ask them questions about their work and engage in a conversation at the end. They will read out trainee situations and you have to say how you would respond. In preparation, I would understand what the firm wants in a trainee. I would go to events or read-up about trainee life and work. I think understanding time management and work prioritisation is key. They will challenge your position and push you on follow-up questions, just stay calm, answer clearly and stand your ground.

Case Study Interview: For this, they gave a case of a client's business with some background on the sector. It was topical to issues happening in the general UK business news and society, so keeping up with the news over a long period is important. I had 30 minutes to read through it. They asked about stakeholders and how their client could change their business in the future to keep up with their sector. I would have a good understanding of what practice areas they are good at and a general commercial awareness. More importantly, think about what challenges face businesses in the news and how they can overcome this.

Competency interview: They ask general questions that you can expect and prepare for. However, it is very friendly and more like a conversation. I would have a very good understanding of the firm, a genuine enthusiasm for the firm and their work, and knowledge of what makes them unique to you. At the end, I was able to ask them questions and we had a nice conversation about their careers. Overall, take time to be articulate and calm. Don't be afraid to ask for time to think about an answer to a question. They want people who are friendly and positive, so ensure you come across well and genuine throughout. Be conversational and in turn interested in them.

Were you successful?

Yes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.