Erin

Legendary Member
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Operations
Jul 13, 2022
An opportunity to undertake a vacation scheme at the firm, commencing in 2023.

Scheme dates: 4 – 15 December 2023.

Apply here by 31st October 2023.

mc98

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2023
Hi Erin, I had a question regarding this particular question "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application". What does Hogan Lovells mean by it? Is it mitigating circumstances, about my universities? I am a bit confused about this.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Erin, I had a question regarding this particular question "Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application". What does Hogan Lovells mean by it? Is it mitigating circumstances, about my universities? I am a bit confused about this.

Thank you for the help in advance!
Hi @mc98, I totally understand your confusion as it is a pretty open-ended question for sure.
The way I always approached questions like this was to think about facts, professional experiences and/or extracurricular activities that I have not mentioned in the application and that could distinguish me from other candidates. Things that I would mention are:

- Academic Awards/Scholarships that you were not able to mention previously.
- International experiences/ exchange programs or international programs you have done that you did not speak about in previous answers
- Professional experiences, internships, volunteering positions you were not able to mention previously, mentioning what you have learned from them and how the skills developed will help you thrive as a trainee at the firm

Alternatively, if you have some serious mitigating circumstances that impacted your academic performance, I would take this opportunity to explain what these are and how you tried to overcome them.
I hope this helps and good luck the application!

antheaf

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2023
Hi Erin and everyone,
Since the winter vacation scheme is on rolling basis do you think it still makes sense to apply now given that the application window opened 18/9 or does direct TC/ summer vacation scheme make more sense? I also heard that HL is predominately recruiting from vacation schemes so does direct TC make any sense? Thankful for any input!

mc98

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2023
Hi Erin and everyone,
Since the winter vacation scheme is on rolling basis do you think it still makes sense to apply now given that the application window opened 18/9 or does direct TC/ summer vacation scheme make more sense? I also heard that HL is predominately recruiting from vacation schemes so does direct TC make any sense? Thankful for any input!
Hi @antheaf, I asked a similar question to the graduate recruitment team and they mentioned that it's best if you apply for vacation schemes if you have time since they are planning to hire 75% of their candidates from the VS.

Reactions: antheaf

mc98

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2023
Hi @mc98, I totally understand your confusion as it is a pretty open-ended question for sure.
The way I always approached questions like this was to think about facts, professional experiences and/or extracurricular activities that I have not mentioned in the application and that could distinguish me from other candidates. Things that I would mention are:

- Academic Awards/Scholarships that you were not able to mention previously.
- International experiences/ exchange programs or international programs you have done that you did not speak about in previous answers
- Professional experiences, internships, volunteering positions you were not able to mention previously, mentioning what you have learned from them and how the skills developed will help you thrive as a trainee at the firm

Alternatively, if you have some serious mitigating circumstances that impacted your academic performance, I would take this opportunity to explain what these are and how you tried to overcome them.
I hope this helps and good luck the application!
Thank you so much Erin for the detailed response!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.