How does this firm differ from its competitors?

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Hi guys

Was just looking for some advice on how to answer the above in a tight word limit (250 words)? Do you need to actually mention the competitors or just talk more about what makes the firm unique?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you can accurately identify competitors, then it’s fine to do so. Just the difficulty is too many actually get this wrong (eg will just compare US firms, think the MC firms are the only ones who compete with one another). But typically most law firms will have lots of competitors - especially if their practice areas are quite broad. So probably worthwhile focusing on what makes them different - just don’t C&P the law firm’s marketing on this topic - write it in your own words. Firms can read through their own corporate spiel.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi guys

Was just looking for some advice on how to answer the above in a tight word limit (250 words)? Do you need to actually mention the competitors or just talk more about what makes the firm unique?

Thanks

Totally agree with Jessica above!

I answered this question (successfully) in the last cycle with an SC firm. I didn't directly mention who I thought their competitors were, and focused most of my answer on the firm's unique points. I only mentioned competitors in one part of my answer where it was illustrative of a point I was making. I said something along the lines of "X firm is unique because of _____, unlike A and B firms which do ______."

Hope that helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Eva and CF

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.