What makes a law firm unique?

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2018
This may be a broad question but I am narrowing down the criteria which makes clients select certain law firms over others.

Using this analogy I am looking to understand what makes law firms different from each other.

My current criteria includes:

- Global presence: Is the firm operation in jurisdictions of interest to the client?

- Practice area strength: Can the firm provide legal and commercial advice to match the complexity of a clients needs

- Multi-practice area strength: (similar as above) Depending on the nature of client needs, where a deal/ project includes multiple practice areas, can the firm provide high calibre advice on those?

- Awards/ Chambers rankings: Do clients select law firms primarily based on how high firms rank?

- D&I: Significant number of clients are expecting to see diversity represented in their legal panels

- Regulator/ Industry body involvement: (Mostly US firms) I see lawyer profiles pointing out experiences of lawyers working directly for regulators

Are there any other criteria you seek out when looking to understand what truly makes a firm unique compared to any other?

Let me know below!

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    This may be a broad question but I am narrowing down the criteria which makes clients select certain law firms over others.

Using this analogy I am looking to understand what makes law firms different from each other.

My current criteria includes:

- Global presence: Is the firm operation in jurisdictions of interest to the client?

- Practice area strength: Can the firm provide legal and commercial advice to match the complexity of a clients needs

- Multi-practice area strength: (similar as above) Depending on the nature of client needs, where a deal/ project includes multiple practice areas, can the firm provide high calibre advice on those?

- Awards/ Chambers rankings: Do clients select law firms primarily based on how high firms rank?

- D&I: Significant number of clients are expecting to see diversity represented in their legal panels

- Regulator/ Industry body involvement: (Mostly US firms) I see lawyer profiles pointing out experiences of lawyers working directly for regulators

Are there any other criteria you seek out when looking to understand what truly makes a firm unique compared to any other?

Let me know below!
    From a client perspective, experience (working on similar matters), price, and relationships are key as well as some of the factors you mentioned

Reactions: Mike Wazaoski

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You’d be surprised how much “do I like /will I like working with these people” is taken into account! On a more sophosticated level that can also be “do these firm’s values align with ours”.

Price, even when paying out at the very top end of the market, will also be a key factor.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.