How much commercial awareness should we have at this stage?

ginevrafanshawe

• Aug 12, 2022
    Hi everyone,

I have a vac scheme interview coming up and am trying to prepare for the possibility of commercial awareness questions; however, I'm not sure how much knowledge I'm supposed to have at this stage. I have some possible options below; could anyone who has experience with vac scheme interviews please let me know which is most accurate, and any more info if possible?

1. We just need a good knowledge of current affairs, eg the war in Ukraine and the cost of living crisis, and how these affairs might affect clients

2. We need knowledge of specifically commercial current affairs, eg the crypto crisis, and how businesses and markets work / how these affairs might affect clients

3. We need knowledge of all of the above as well as specific commercial law knowledge, eg reasons why an IPO may not work, or the stages of a private equity transaction

I understand this may differ by firm: the firm I have the interview with is Davis Polk, whose London office is strongly focused on corporate and finance work.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don’t think you need specific knowledge of any of these topics, but you should be able to analysis such topics and form an opinion on all of them.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.