How should a candidate talk about mitigating circumstances?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

Not sure if this is a FAQ but I thought I'd start a thread. How should a candidate talk about mitigating circumstances?

I thankfully graduated with a 2.1 but life really did me over (as it does to us all). And I've got various mitigating circumstances. I'm not sure what the best way is in declaring this.

What is everyone thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You focus on how the circumstances impacted your studies/ability to work rather than provide the detail of the circumstances themselves.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I agree with Jess' input here.

At the risk of sounding brutal (although having been in the position of disclosing these circumstances myself), the aim of the game isn't simply to talk about how bad XYZ things were and how tough it all was. You need to retain a level of composure and professionalism, and, as Jess says, the focus ought to be on the tangible impact that the circumstances had on you at the relevant time.

Keep it relevant, concise and clear - the same rules as apply to applications more generally.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.