How to structure answer to 'Discuss a recent business story'

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Many applications ask questions similar to 'discuss a business story that you are interested in'
I was wondering how best to structure the answer and what aspects to discuss and what would count as going off topic? For example, I'm looking at a story concerning a certain retailer and why its failing but would it be going on a tangent if I then mentioned another company and why their business model if failing.
The limit is only 300 words so I'm unsure what topics and in how much detail they want me to discuss.

Thanks for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Many applications ask questions similar to 'discuss a business story that you are interested in'
I was wondering how best to structure the answer and what aspects to discuss and what would count as going off topic? For example, I'm looking at a story concerning a certain retailer and why its failing but would it be going on a tangent if I then mentioned another company and why their business model if failing.
The limit is only 300 words so I'm unsure what topics and in how much detail they want me to discuss.

Thanks for your help!

I’d focus on one retailer. You could reference other retailers issues and the similarities to the one you are focusing on, but I think if you detailed two different retailers with very different issues then you aren’t really answering the question.

The alternative is to focus on the issue facing multiple retailers and make that your story, rather than focusing on a specific business.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
I’d focus on one retailer. You could reference other retailers issues and the similarities to the one you are focusing on, but I think if you detailed two different retailers with very different issues then you aren’t really answering the question.

The alternative is to focus on the issue facing multiple retailers and make that your story, rather than focusing on a specific business.
Thank you for your help!
To clarify do you think it would be okay to have a more general answer stating the recent trends in the retail sector rather than a specific new article about a specific business?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your help!
To clarify do you think it would be okay to have a more general answer stating the recent trends in the retail sector rather than a specific new article about a specific business?

That’s a pretty broad topic which I am not convinced could be articulated thoroughly in an application answer of a few hundred words.

Can you focus the answer on a type of retail? Eg shopping malls vs high street? Clothing shops vs homeware stores? Adapting a strategy to online only/sticking to in person shopping only?

Last edited:

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
That’s a pretty broad topic which I am not convinced could be articulated thoroughly in an application answer of a few hundred words.

Can you focus the answer on a type of retail? Eg shopping malls vs high street? Clothing shops vs homeware stores? Adapting a strategy to online only/sticking to in person shopping only?
Yes I think focusing on a type of retail would address the question well, thank you so much for your help!

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.