Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How these things work these days:

a firm needs to make sure the test isn’t impacting certain groups more negatively than others (what’s called adverse impact). This means they typically won’t set a pass benchmark until they are confident that isn’t happening. Typically lower benchmarks will have less adverse impact.

Also it can be very early days in the application process, most applications won’t have been received yet. So it’s difficult to work out whether you are going to put through too many or too few candidates to the next stage, especially if application numbers are lower than expected. This also means firms can hold off setting a benchmark until they are confident of a suitable outcome

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
just found out I passed the HSF test so getting the report does not seem to have any bearing on the outcome of the app. I suspect this is something they have decided to do automatically in order to give people peace of mind that the test has been processed and also because they may have lots of requests for reports after the test :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
just found out I passed the HSF test so getting the report does not seem to have any bearing on the outcome of the app. I suspect this is something they have decided to do automatically in order to give people peace of mind that the test has been processed and also because they may have lots of requests for reports after the test :)

Did you receive an email saying you passed? I got a report no email though

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
Jan 10, 2019
Did you receive an email saying you passed? I got a report no email though
I also got the report straight after completing the test and then got an email 6 hours later saying that I had passed the benchmark on the test and another email stating that my app was now under review! Good luck Aaron, remember no news isn't necessarily bad news :)

Reactions: Alice G

alohalo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
do you mind me asking you guys when you applied?
and best of luck for both of you, with such a positive attitude, I'm sure you will flourish!

Got my first rejection of the year from HSF just now (though I expect more to come) - Passed the online test and put a lot of thought into it, but I knew there were lots of applicants. Only regret is I will never know what exactly I could have improved on.

Good luck everyone!

Whoop that’s a lovely 6pm on a Friday night rejection from HSF for me! First one of the cycle for me too but trying to stay positive and work on other apps! Good luck to anyone who is still waiting to hear back!

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
Jan 10, 2019
and best of luck for both of you, with such a positive attitude, I'm sure you will flourish!

Thank you, it’s hard to feel that way but I think it’s the only way to not let these rejections affect you.

I applied on the deadline and got an email saying I passed the test benchmark about 6 hours after taking it. Good luck, I hope you hear soon!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I applied fairly early on. I would say maybe the beginning of October or mid-late September? It took me absolutely ages to be sent the online test though. I even had to speak to one of the recruiters at my university's law fair about it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.