I am worried that I can’t secure a training contract

Clau

Standard Member
Apr 4, 2021
Hi guys!!! So I’m in need of some serious help. I felt like I have lost all my motivation this year after what has happened with the pandemic, constantly being rejected for paralegal roles and my mental illness.

I am currently in the process of applying for a TC because I missed vacation scheme deadlines. I was unable to do A levels at school as a very serious incident happened. Following the incident, I developed bipolar disorder and I wasn’t in a good place. I started studying music as it helped me and distracted me from the past. I studied at a high level passing with distinctions and merits with the associated boards of the Royal schools of music.

in absence of my A levels, I took an accredited foundation course to get I to university and study law. I attend the university of central Lancashire and graduated with a first.

I did a vacation scheme with an international firm, I had some paralegal experience for an In house company, I worked as a hostess at a hotel and I worked with the orchestra. I commuted to university 2 hours a day as well as work and horse riding as a I was a competitive athlete. I can also speak five languages.

In summary... will these qualifications and characteristics allow me to obtain a TC considering my mitigating circumstances or, will my application be completely disregarded? Sometimes I think that because I didn’t graduate from an Oxbridge uni, my chances are very low. I constantly worry and I’m really doing my best.

Clau

Standard Member
Apr 4, 2021
Are you explaining your extenuating circumstances in applications?
Hi, yes. I will be explaining that. I’m not sure if bipolar disorder will be considered.
I am also applying to some firms that no longer require A-levels. Perhaps it’s a better chance. I’m not aiming for the best best firms because I am trying to be pragmatic.
I am also implementing why disorder into “why law” as law was truly my motivation and helped me progress myself after being diagnosed. So that will go in my cover letter of the question. Of course, it is much more detailed then the way I described it now.

I was hoping to get some help and advice in relation to my application before I do send it.
About removing the A level requirements for some firms, I am not sure whether this only applies to 2020 graduates or to all of us.

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey,

As Jess has said, as long as you're explaining your mitigating circumstances clearly (bipolar disorder definitely counts), I don't think your chances of securing a TC are low. In fact, considering that you've done a VS already (and the rest of your qualifications - they all sound incredibly impressive by the way!) I'd say your chances are actually very high. You definitely don't need to be from Oxbridge to get a TC. Many people don't go to Oxbridge or even RG universities and are still made TC offers with some of the best firms in the City. I genuinely think you're in a better position than you're giving yourself credit for. In relation to getting some help and advice on your apps, really recommend sending in your application for a review with TCLA!

Clau

Standard Member
    Apr 4, 2021
    Hey,

As Jess has said, as long as you're explaining your mitigating circumstances clearly (bipolar disorder definitely counts), I don't think your chances of securing a TC are low. In fact, considering that you've done a VS already (and the rest of your qualifications - they all sound incredibly impressive by the way!) I'd say your chances are actually very high. You definitely don't need to be from Oxbridge to get a TC. Many people don't go to Oxbridge or even RG universities and are still made TC offers with some of the best firms in the City. I genuinely think you're in a better position than you're giving yourself credit for. In relation to getting some help and advice on your apps, really recommend sending in your application for a review with TCLA!
    Thank you so much for the advice. It has honestly helped. I will explain that within the motivating circumstances. I even considered trying to do the A levels and preparing for them. It’s just I would also really like to qualify this year under the new route or the LPC. I am not sure whether to go back and do the A levels and then qualify. I am already 25 almost. 😞
    I have also signed up for a virtual vacation scheme! I will certainly get my TC reviewed with TCLA.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much for the advice. It has honestly helped. I will explain that within the motivating circumstances. I even considered trying to do the A levels and preparing for them. It’s just I would also really like to qualify this year under the new route or the LPC. I am not sure whether to go back and do the A levels and then qualify. I am already 25 almost. 😞
    I have also signed up for a virtual vacation scheme! I will certainly get my TC reviewed with TCLA.
    There is no point in taking your A-levels at this stage.

Clau

Standard Member
    Apr 4, 2021
    My personal opinions:
    • Don't bother with a Master's degree. In this country (as opposed to the USA, for instance), far more attention is paid to where you did your undergrad. The only exception would be something like the BCL at Oxford, but that is very difficult to get.
    • Keep plugging away at applications. Have them checked over (by TCLA or by friends), spend proper time on them, refine your application process & target firms.
    If you still don't have any luck, then you have a decision to make.
    1. You can do the SQE, if you are determined that a career in law is for you, including working at a high street firm. There's obviously nothing at all wrong with working in such a firm, but since quite a few law applicants only want to be commercial lawyers & earn megabucks, if you fall into that category, then maybe still doing the SQE regardless isn't wise. Yes, the SQE is much cheaper than the LPC, but it is still money.
    2. You can do something else with your life. As others have stated, you have a lot of other skills. You have transferrable experience into the world of competitive sport, anything involving foreign languages - the list goes on.
    Just my opinion, and I'm certain other people on the forum will have different advice.
    Thank you for the response. Well, if I wasn’t sure it was for me, I wouldn’t have wasted 3 years on a bachelors degree. I would have just dropped out at some point. 😅

I am not picky about making big money or the firm itself. In fact... I really enjoy family law and employment law. (Although I do appreciate employment law pays well, and it’s part of many law firms).
    It’s too late to continue competitive sport as a career. I do not think it is stable. I am not to fussed about the cost of the SQE. I am willing to do it. It is more the QWE I am concerned about.
    lastly, I can only target firms that have waived off the A level requirements.

I appreciate your response.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.