I don't get it...

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I don't get it...I really thought this was one of my strongest applications. I don't get where I fell short? Even with mit. circumstances, I'm still not a good fit?

Sorry for this depressing post but I really don't get what I'm doing wrong???
    I hate to be unhelpful, but it's almost impossible to provide any constructive help here without knowing more about the application, rejection (i.e. what stage it was at), etc etc. If you were able to share a bit more about it, we could probably make a better attempt at helping provide likely answers for why you got rejected.

Over and above all that, unfortunately rejections do happen all the time. At the end of the day, we are fighting over some of the most over-subscribed grad roles and even the strongest applicants get knocked back from firms with exceptionally strong apps. Sometimes there isn't necessarily a rhyme nor reason for it, either. Rejections are horrible, especially when you feel like it's a particularly strong application.

For what it's worth, I had some pretty extreme mitigating circumstances (broke my back in an accident- I talk more about it in the "Ask 3 future trainees anything" thread) and got some pretty brutal knock-backs even with that taken into consideration. It's just a part of the process unfortunately, I'm sure you'll get there eventually!

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your response. I made an application back in November to Skadden (vac scheme) and I really believed it was one of my strongest applications. I just received news today (automated rejections emails) that I won't be progressed. It's definitely a knock on my confidence.

I know that I should keep at it...but I have no idea where I am going wrong :/

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your response. I made an application back in November to Skadden (vac scheme) and I really believed it was one of my strongest applications. I just received news today (automated rejections emails) that I won't be progressed. It's definitely a knock on my confidence.

The most common errors in applications are:

- not making it specific enough to the firm
    - not properly exemplifying skills etc that you claim to have
    - spelling and grammatical errors
    - cutting and pasting parts from other applications
    - not answering the questions being asked

As I say above, though, a lot of applicants will be rejected even when they hit all these points. Just par for this course unfortunately.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jacob,

I'm really sorry to hear this, I know how hard you worked on your Skadden application. I also know how much hard work you have put into this process.

I don't have much useful advice here, other than I really hope you keep going. We just need one firm to see how good you are.

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    The most common errors in applications are:

- not making it specific enough to the firm
    - not properly exemplifying skills etc that you claim to have
    - spelling and grammatical errors
    - cutting and pasting parts from other applications
    - not answering the questions being asked

As I say above, though, a lot of applicants will be rejected even when they hit all these points. Just par for this course unfortunately.

While I agree with the above, some copy-pasting is inevitable - work experience sections with the same word count for instance.

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    I'm really sorry to hear this, I know how hard you worked on your Skadden application. I also know how much hard work you have put into this process.

I don't have much useful advice here, other than I really hope you keep going. We just need one firm to see how good you are.
    Thanks Jaysen and thank you for all your support!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.