I have a Telephone Interview soon. Is it okay to repeat information from the app. form?

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
In my application form to Mayer Brown, for example, I answered questions such as 'why law' and 'why Mayer Brown' in my cover letter. I now have a telephone interview with the firm tomorrow and was wondering whether it is okay to simply repeat the answers that I wrote on my application form during the interview (obviously altering them slightly to convey them better during speaking).

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
In my application form to Mayer Brown, for example, I answered questions such as 'why law' and 'why Mayer Brown' in my cover letter. I now have a telephone interview with the firm tomorrow and was wondering whether it is okay to simply repeat the answers that I wrote on my application form during the interview (obviously altering them slightly to convey them better during speaking).

Hi, I would assume that they would expect that the same reasons/examples to be used as you cant really make up new examples, however I would recommend going into further depth on the phone call (something which is often difficult doing on the application form due to word limit).

Reactions: Alice G, Zoo and Kola

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I agree with what @lozza_2 has said above - realistically your motivations will not be any different. Telephone interviews tend to be about assessing how well you can converse in real time on the phone so just be calm and professional and you will do well I am sure!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.