I'm at a cross-roads... should I take the (non-law) job?

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
In continuation to my previous thread, I've been offered a job as an Archive Assistant (12 months FTC) with Mishcon de Reya. It's a big formidable firm and a big name, however I'm unsure if it's the right step to take. I graduated in December from a (UG) Politics and International Law degree, and started doing legal-y things last year (done 2 legal internships with boutique small firms, did 2 other internships with human rights legal organisations, as well as started writing for Legal Cheek, and did a business start-up internship last Summer as well) I want to be a commercial solicitor and from what I've seen over my last years of research it's a cutthroat dog-eat-dog world from recruitment to the end of the partner line. My fears are that working in a non-legal practice, business services archive assistant job will lead to a 'stickiness' in my career trajectory and it would be difficult for me to progress; if it were a paralegal position, I would take it in a heartbeat. I've applied to tons of Vac Schemes this cycle and so far no luck (got through to interview stage for Simmons and Simmons but got really nervous with the non-human recorded video portion).

Should I take it and just be happy I have the name of a big firm on my CV, or should I not take it and try to get something closer to what I want? Or otherwise, get a job where I have more room to not do monotonous tasks (or have a higher level of responsibility in my tasks) - like try and do consultancy or something more 'commercial'? Will the secretarial characteristic of the Business Services archive team be looked down upon when I do further legal apps? Many people will have Goldman Sachs Intern on their CVs and I'll have Mishcon Archive Assistant. I am at odds, please give me advice!!!

TLDR; In summation, I've been offered an archive assistant job at Mishcon de Reya, but am unsure about whether that's the right step to take at the moment as it's not a job that will give me commercial experience directly, or in which I will work directly with live cases. That being said, it's a quite a big firm and name. And I've graduated already from a non-law UG degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I rarely give defined and precise advice on things like this as I don't want to overly influence people's thinking. However, on this occasion, to me it comes down to the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and that you should take this job.

From what you have said this is the best opportunity you have right now. You can always continue to try and find other roles that are more aligned to your future aspirations, but the role itself is more likely to help you secure those roles. Consider this a stepping stone - without it you are much more likely to be waiting for an opportunity and that wait could take a significant amount of time. You are a non-law grad without the GDL/LPC/SQE, so getting a paralegal job will be much more trickier for you, but something like this role at Mishcon could really help you either step into a paralegal role or help build out your CV/application.

Joining a firm like Mishcon is going to give you a whole host of opportunities - direct access to lawyers, gaining knowledge of the industry/firm, internal events etc. Just because the role isn't a legal one, doesn't mean the opportunities surrounding it aren't - its a law firm after all.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen, AvniD and George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
In continuation to my previous thread, I've been offered a job as an Archive Assistant (12 months FTC) with Mishcon de Reya. It's a big formidable firm and a big name, however I'm unsure if it's the right step to take. I graduated in December from a (UG) Politics and International Law degree, and started doing legal-y things last year (done 2 legal internships with boutique small firms, did 2 other internships with human rights legal organisations, as well as started writing for Legal Cheek, and did a business start-up internship last Summer as well) I want to be a commercial solicitor and from what I've seen over my last years of research it's a cutthroat dog-eat-dog world from recruitment to the end of the partner line. My fears are that working in a non-legal practice, business services archive assistant job will lead to a 'stickiness' in my career trajectory and it would be difficult for me to progress; if it were a paralegal position, I would take it in a heartbeat. I've applied to tons of Vac Schemes this cycle and so far no luck (got through to interview stage for Simmons and Simmons but got really nervous with the non-human recorded video portion).

Should I take it and just be happy I have the name of a big firm on my CV, or should I not take it and try to get something closer to what I want? Or otherwise, get a job where I have more room to not do monotonous tasks (or have a higher level of responsibility in my tasks) - like try and do consultancy or something more 'commercial'? Will the secretarial characteristic of the Business Services archive team be looked down upon when I do further legal apps? Many people will have Goldman Sachs Intern on their CVs and I'll have Mishcon Archive Assistant. I am at odds, please give me advice!!!

TLDR; In summation, I've been offered an archive assistant job at Mishcon de Reya, but am unsure about whether that's the right step to take at the moment as it's not a job that will give me commercial experience directly, or in which I will work directly with live cases. That being said, it's a quite a big firm and name. And I've graduated already from a non-law UG degree.
Hi @hungry_for_TC,

Congratulations for getting the job! That is amazing news. Just as a side note, have you asked for interview feedback? Interview feedback is hard to come by, so, even though you were successful in this instance, if I were you I would grab the opportunity to have some!

@Jessica Booker has provided you with fantastic advice here.

If I were in your position some questions that I would ask myself would be:
1. Is this job going to develop my skillset and allow me to develop in a way that I want? Will it provide me with relevant opportunities?
2. Am I actually interested in the job in question?
3. What alternatives do I have? Are any of these preferable?
4. If I accept this job, can I apply to other things at the same time? Would it be possible to leave prematurely?

The only question which I feel like I can provide any thoughts on in this situation is 1. I would think, as Jess touches on, that this would provide you with relevant opportunities. Being in a law firm will allow you to network with lawyers (if you make the effort) and you will learn a lot through osmosis just by being in a legal setting.

As you said too, MDR is a fantastic firm to have on your CV too. If you make strong connections at the firm, I am sure this will be handy when you are looking to make applications in the future.

I hope some of that might be helpful 🚀

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi @hungry_for_TC,

Congratulations for getting the job! That is amazing news. Just as a side note, have you asked for interview feedback? Interview feedback is hard to come by, so, even though you were successful in this instance, if I were you I would grab the opportunity to have some!

@Jessica Booker has provided you with fantastic advice here.

If I were in your position some questions that I would ask myself would be:
1. Is this job going to develop my skillset and allow me to develop in a way that I want? Will it provide me with relevant opportunities?
2. Am I actually interested in the job in question?
3. What alternatives do I have? Are any of these preferable?
4. If I accept this job, can I apply to other things at the same time? Would it be possible to leave prematurely?

The only question which I feel like I can provide any thoughts on in this situation is 1. I would think, as Jess touches on, that this would provide you with relevant opportunities. Being in a law firm will allow you to network with lawyers (if you make the effort) and you will learn a lot through osmosis just by being in a legal setting.

As you said too, MDR is a fantastic firm to have on your CV too. If you make strong connections at the firm, I am sure this will be handy when you are looking to make applications in the future.

I hope some of that might be helpful 🚀
Hi George, I'm currently in a 3-month contract position as an assistant in an M&BD department in a law firm, and it is completely WFH. In your advice you mentioned that in a law firm, even in a non-law position you could always network with lawyers if you make the effort.

However, I've really not had any opportunity to speak to any lawyers as there hasn't been any opportunity to work with them. Would you say that I'm missing a big opportunity, or do you think it wouldn't be great to email them one-on-one and come across as too try-hard in trying to network? And if you were in this position, is there anything you would try do to make yourself stand out or get more from this position?

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi George, I'm currently in a 3-month contract position as an assistant in an M&BD department in a law firm, and it is completely WFH. In your advice you mentioned that in a law firm, even in a non-law position you could always network with lawyers if you make the effort.

However, I've really not had any opportunity to speak to any lawyers as there hasn't been any opportunity to work with them. Would you say that I'm missing a big opportunity, or do you think it wouldn't be great to email them one-on-one and come across as too try-hard in trying to network? And if you were in this position, is there anything you would try do to make yourself stand out or get more from this position?
Hey @lawnoob,

Having just responded to this via PM, I thought I would share the substantive content with the main forum too!

Personally I do not think that you have anything to lose by reaching out to lawyers as a 'non-lawyer' (awful term!). Be ambitious and ask. The worst that they can say is no.

In terms of coming across as a 'try hard': honestly I just do not think that this language exists in the working world (especially in law) and results from jealousy at school more than anything. I would have thought the firm would admire (and be impressed by) your willingness to be assertive. Enthusiasm is a positive thing!

It is only my opinion, but I would encourage you to avoid this sort of thinking and lean into your ambition. It is your career and your future after all 🚀

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.