Inflation figures have come down in the US

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    If you've been following along with me for the past 20 months, you'll note that I have been fairly pessimistic about the ability of central banks to actually bring down inflation, despite the steady base interest rate increases.

However, as of yesterday, it appears the inflation rate is breaking in the US. It's down to 3% as of June, which is the lowest rate it has been in the US since June (according to the FT). This suggests that the Federal Reserve's efforts to slash inflation through rate hikes is working.

A question for the community (and one I have not researched myself), is why the US seems to be doing better than the UK? We touched on this during yesterday evening's first TCLA Office Hours. But I think this will become a very salient talking point in the coming weeks: why is inflation falling in the US (and the EU to a lesser extent), but not the UK? What structural factors are causing this (e.g., things like unemployment rates, trade policies, fiscal [tax] policies, etc.)? What does this mean for commercial clients? What does this mean for law firms?

Last edited:
    Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.