Inspiration!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys, Amazon is not delivering but can you suggest some books?

Nothing legal..after an entire day of legal work and TC apps..I just want to escape!!!

By the way..yesterday we watched Ocean 13..Trilogy completed

Reactions: Eva and Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, Amazon is not delivering but can you suggest some books?

Nothing legal..after an entire day of legal work and TC apps..I just want to escape!!!

By the way..yesterday we watched Ocean 13..Trilogy completed

Seems like Amazon are now prioritising deliveries deemed urgent - although what they deem urgent seems a strange mix of things. A lot of non-necessity items are not be delivered to me now until 26 April!

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Seems like Amazon are now prioritising deliveries deemed urgent - although what they deem urgent seems a strange mix of things. A lot of non-necessity items are not be delivered to me now until 26 April!
My delivery has not even been dispatched..and also decathlon is not delivering.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I don't like being this person who does virtue signalling, but... guys, if you really don't need to, please do not shop at Amazon right now. I know people working at their warehouses or as delivery drivers and the situation there is dire because of coronavirus and the lack of any proper measures from the Amazon bosses. There is a reason this is making headlines right now and why many workers are threatening with the strike (most notably in New York). People shopping for non-essentials are just making the situation much worse for these guys.

If you want to read some books, there are always Kindle / pdf versions. Apparently after the backlash Waterstones has also started to take more care of their employees, so it might be better ordering from them.

Reactions: skizzle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't like being this person who does virtue signalling, but... guys, if you really don't need to, please do not shop at Amazon right now. I know people working at their warehouses or as delivery drivers and the situation there is dire because of coronavirus and the lack of any proper measures from the Amazon bosses. There is a reason this is making headlines right now and why many workers are threatening with the strike (most notably in New York). People shopping for non-essentials are just making the situation much worse for these guys.

If you want to read some books, there are always Kindle / pdf versions. Apparently after the backlash Waterstones has also started to take more care of their employees, so it might be better ordering from them.

I wish it was as simple as not using Amazon. Many of the things I have purchased I have only been able to get via Amazon, and I live in central London!

Reactions: S87

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I wish it was as simple as not using Amazon. Many of the things I have purchased I have only been able to get via Amazon, and I live in central London!

Yeah, I am well-aware of this, I live in Zone 2 and there are same issues there. I know that sometimes Amazon might be the only place to get things from right now, but all the same as long as something is non-essential people should really think twice before they order something - speaking to one Amazon employee last week, she was baffled at what kind of silly things people are buying at the moment. And with items like books, there really are alternatives is all I'm saying.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah, I am well-aware of this, I live in Zone 2 and there are same issues there. I know that sometimes Amazon might be the only place to get things from right now, but all the same as long as something is non-essential people should really think twice before they order something - speaking to one Amazon employee last week, she was baffled at what kind of silly things people are buying at the moment. And with items like books, there really are alternatives is all I'm saying.

they might seem odd, but those things might be helping to keep people’s mental health going. I know the things I have ordered would seem bizarre - but it’s these little things that bring some small joys, and I would prefer to purchasing those things that letting my mental health deteriorate

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys a little update from me..

I have been a little bit down and my muscles are so sore. I felt like i was not achieving enough and had rejection from RareRecruitment but then I forced myself to see the glass half full.

Covid19 has forced my girlfriend and I to live together and it is a first time for both of us. So far so fantastic. First success

Managed to complete a task within deadline whilst having 4 meetings in one week. Second success

Completed and sent 2 apps..fingers crossed!!! Third success

Organised my groceries and set up a weekly menu!! Fourth success

Managed to train 3 times and start Macfarlanes app. Fifth success

Yes rejection from Rare but I passed my first ever VI for Paul Hastings open day..Yass

Goals for the week ahead:

1)Running 5 times and exercise 4 times
2) Order dumbbells
3) Tell my GF how much I appreciate her support, continue with my diet and take care of my mental health
4) Finish Macfarlanes and AG apps and send 3 apps by the end of the week.
5) Create a better weekly menu

By the way..my Amazon order is coming today..I am disappointed that Amazon's workers are not being protected but they are literally saving me.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I have been a little bit down and my muscles are so sore. I felt like i was not achieving enough and had rejection from RareRecruitment but then I forced myself to see the glass half full.

Covid19 has forced my girlfriend and I to live together and it is a first time for both of us. So far so fantastic. First success

Managed to complete a task within deadline whilst having 4 meetings in one week. Second success

Yes rejection from Rare but I passed my first ever VI for Paul Hastings open day..Yass

2) Order dumbbells
    3) Tell my GF how much I appreciate her support, continue with my diet and take care of my mental health

By the way..my Amazon order is coming today..I am disappointed that Amazon's workers are not being protected but they are literally saving me.

Lots of great achievements there, well done!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    It is just to say that we need to keep going and fighting!!

I do not know the financial impact of Covid19 but we need to work on ourselves and achieve our dreams.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

2) Order dumbbells

Really uplifting post and well done for everything you’ve achieved! The hour’s change over the weekend made me feel very tired yesterday but the sun is shining today and I am going to try and do an at home workout today. Going to do it with the doors open on my balcony so I can emulate the feeling of being outside and get a nice bit of sun streaming in - really trying to be more grateful for the smaller things.

Also have another pub quiz on Zoom tonight as well :D

I hope you are all keeping well!

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    On the topic of books. Some audible's that I have got through recently:

Bad Blood - John Carreyrou
    This is about Hermanos. Excellent stuff.

Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis
    Tales from the old days in Wall Street. Short and entertaining.

The Secret Barrister
    Great read about the pitfalls of the criminal bar.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    On the topic of books. Some audible's that I have got through recently:

Bad Blood - John Carreyrou
    This is about Hermanos. Excellent stuff.

Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis
    Tales from the old days in Wall Street. Short and entertaining.

The Secret Barrister
    Great read about the pitfalls of the criminal bar.
    I've been meaning to get Liar's Poker, would you recommend it?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys!!

just as an update- I did my first yoga class this week by using the free instagram lives being offered by digme fitness and I also did a lower body hiit workout following an insta live from Psycle London’s account too! These are two really awesome gym brands that I’ve followed for some time but they’ve got some incredible content for anyone who wants to follow them and give it a go! My legs are screaming at me after the hiit workout but felt so much better after it! Hope you are all staying safe and well :)

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I've been meaning to get Liar's Poker, would you recommend it?

It's really, really short, so you can get through it easily! I'd use listen to it casually for entertainment rather than anything else. It's nothing like The Big Short etc.

Also, it was the inspiration for a drinking game I came up with on a night out recently, if that helps :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.