Inspiration!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Sorry guys,

I have Covid-19 symptoms but today I am starting to slowly recover.

I am not out of the woods yet..but I want to be positive!!

Yesterday I managed to do some yoga and slept a bit better. I have now 3 applications which need to be reviewed in detail and sent.

I have received a rejection from Bakers which was heartbroken as I spent ages on their app. But need to move one and keep trying

I am hoping to go back to my normal routine asap. Just taking my time

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Sorry guys,

Yesterday I managed to do some yoga and slept a bit better. I have now 3 applications which need to be reviewed in detail and sent.

I have received a rejection from Bakers which was heartbroken as I spent ages on their app. But need to move one and keep trying

I really wish you a speedy and full recovery!

so sorry to hear about Bakers but trust me, rejection is just a redirection and I am sure one of your other applications will come right! Three apps is definitely good going as well - good on you!

Definitely do resume your routine at your own pace, there is no rush and your health is most important

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
On the topic of books. Some audible's that I have got through recently:

Bad Blood - John Carreyrou
This is about Hermanos. Excellent stuff.

Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis
Tales from the old days in Wall Street. Short and entertaining.

The Secret Barrister
Great read about the pitfalls of the criminal bar.
I’d also highly recommend bad blood - read it last summer and loved it!

Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Sorry guys,

Really sorry to hear you are unwell. I understand. Focus on getting better and try not to worry too much about rejections. It will make you stronger, I promise.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry guys,

Hope you feel better soon!

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    ah amazing! Let me know what you think and what you make! I heard about a company called Oddbox which basically box up wonky fruit and veg which is rejected by the major retailers but think they can only deliver within a certain radius in London and I am not within the scope. If any of you are though I think it is a great initiative and might help in getting creative in the kitchen too!
    I had couple of Hello Fresh boxes in the past and I really liked it, but sometimes I did not have time to cook the meals and the produce went bad, or I did not feel like eating what I ordered the week before :D. I found Simple Cook much better for me as they sent you all the flavours and list of stuff you need to buy and you can just buy it and get to cooking - super easy and tasty! You can just leave the flavour (spice/pastes etc.) pots until later if you don't feel like it, which worked better fro me!

Reactions: Alice G

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I have gone pretty AWOL since my interviews finished and coronavirus suddenly changed our daily lives, but now reading through these posts, I have really missed the TCLA community.

To be perfectly honest, I have felt very confused and distracted while not doing much since being at home (and especially since being furloughed last week). I have been wanting to work on my personal development, start doing some apps and get into it, but I find it very difficult to do for some reason.

It may be mainly because I was meant to be on my vac scheme right now, on my way to secure a training contract at my dream firm, and it is very hard to find the motivation to start from the beginning again (I know my VS was only postponed but I initially wanted to see how this turns out and if I don’t get it then I would apply for TCs).

I did not want this to be a pity post but really wanted to share my thoughts & get some inspiration. Is anyone feeling the same? And do you have maybe some tips on how to get started and focused on the future in this uncertain time?

Thank you :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I had couple of Hello Fresh boxes in the past and I really liked it, but sometimes I did not have time to cook the meals and the produce went bad, or I did not feel like eating what I ordered the week before :D. I found Simple Cook much better for me as they sent you all the flavours and list of stuff you need to buy and you can just buy it and get to cooking - super easy and tasty! You can just leave the flavour (spice/pastes etc.) pots until later if you don't feel like it, which worked better fro me!
    Ahh fantastic! Thank you for telling me as I’ve never heard of them before - i will definitely give it a look :) thank you for the advice!

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I have gone pretty AWOL since my interviews finished and coronavirus suddenly changed our daily lives, but now reading through these posts, I have really missed the TCLA community.

To be perfectly honest, I have felt very confused and distracted while not doing much since being at home (and especially since being furloughed last week). I have been wanting to work on my personal development, start doing some apps and get into it, but I find it very difficult to do for some reason.

It may be mainly because I was meant to be on my vac scheme right now, on my way to secure a training contract at my dream firm, and it is very hard to find the motivation to start from the beginning again (I know my VS was only postponed but I initially wanted to see how this turns out and if I don’t get it then I would apply for TCs).

I did not want this to be a pity post but really wanted to share my thoughts & get some inspiration. Is anyone feeling the same? And do you have maybe some tips on how to get started and focused on the future in this uncertain time?

Thank you :)

Hey!

I'm in a similar position myself- not knowing where all of this is going to take me, wishing I had a crystal ball to really understand what the future holds. I've also been procrastinating when it comes to submitting applications just because of the perceived standstill in recruitment. However, constantly keeping up to date with this forum and reading the words of @Jessica Booker who has insights into law firm recruitment, has left me feeling extremely hopeful knowing that firms are continuing to recruit and make use of technological advances! Also, seeing people still getting interviewed by firms shows that while things are seemingly abnormal right now, one thing has continued to remain normal and that is the fact that firms are still recruiting! So don't give up!

Also, alongside my studies, I've began online courses on coding and AI, which has really helped me stay motivated! Technology is advancing everyday and if there's one thing that firms are going to need, it's people who are well versed in this area so why not take online courses on legal tech etc to really increase your offerings to a firm!

I hope this helps and I hope you feel alright. Everyone is living this shared experience of a pandemic. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey!

I'm in a similar position myself- not knowing where all of this is going to take me, wishing I had a crystal ball to really understand what the future holds. I've also been procrastinating when it comes to submitting applications just because of the perceived standstill in recruitment. However, constantly keeping up to date with this forum and reading the words of @Jessica Booker who has insights into law firm recruitment, has left me feeling extremely hopeful knowing that firms are continuing to recruit and making use of technological advances! Also, seeing people still getting interviewed by firms shows that while things are seemingly abnormal right now, one thing has continued to remain normal and that is the fact that firms are still recruiting! So don't give up!

Also, alongside my studies, I've began online courses on coding and AI, which has really helped me stay motivated! Technology is advancing everyday and if there's one thing that firms are going to need, it's people who are well versed in this area so why not take online courses on legal tech etc to really increase your offerings to a firm!

I hope this helps and I hope you feel alright. Everyone is living this shared experience of a pandemic. But there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

great work on the coding/AI learnings - highly recommend this to anyone who wants to be able to work with tech clients in the future. Just getting your head around basic terminology can be very helpful.

Reactions: MarathonNotaSprint

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
    Hi everybody,

Great thread, I've been trying hard to deal with the stress too, while making apps for training contracts and looking for other legal roles, I used to work at hospitality and my job would simply not exist post lockdown, however I'm making apps on daily basis, the things that keeps me going:
    1. EXERCISE : Everyday no matter what, and I set goals such as plank challenge and long walks in the evening while listening to books, I use pedometers to challenge myself. I use Hasfit, they have a channel and an app and they have the best workouts
    2. Cooking and baking: Everyday, in particular baking is known to be very therapeutic. I'm a Sourdough master!
    3. Healthy diet: Combined with exercise helped me lose me lose 6kg so far, considering being home most of the time.
    4. Meditation: There is a saying sleep angry, wake up angry, meditation before sleep is a great way to help a better sleep, no phone in bedroom policy is paramount.
    5. Psycho- cybernetics : If there is a holy book, it is Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, buy this book, read it and read it till it's a part of you
    , this is a the best book for understanding success and how human being as a mechanism is built for success,

Hope it's all helpful

Arash

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jai C. and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everybody,

Great thread, I've been trying hard to deal with the stress too, while making apps for training contracts and looking for other legal roles, I used to work at hospitality and my job would simply not exist post lockdown, however I'm making apps on daily basis, the things that keeps me going:
    1. EXERCISE : Everyday no matter what, and I set goals such as plank challenge and long walks in the evening while listening to books, I use pedometers to challenge myself. I use Hasfit, they have a channel and an app and they have the best workouts
    2. Cooking and baking: Everyday, in particular baking is known to be very therapeutic. I'm a Sourdough master!
    3. Healthy diet: Combined with exercise helped me lose me lose 6kg so far, considering being home most of the time.
    4. Meditation: There is a saying sleep angry, wake up angry, meditation before sleep is a great way to help a better sleep, no phone in bedroom policy is paramount.
    5. Psycho- cybernetics : If there is a holy book, it is Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, buy this book, read it and read it till it's a part of you
    , this is a the best book for understanding success and how human being as a mechanism is built for success,

Hope it's all helpful

Arash
    This sounds amazing! Would love to try making sourdough come August when I’ve got a bit of free time on my hands!!! Might have to come back to you for some tips :D

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
    I want to become a Sourdough master but I have cold hands and the dough never rise. I love cooking and thinking to register to attend cooking classes, so tips are welcome!
    I'm not too sure about cooking classes as Youtube has everything you need, in terms of sourdough you have to make sure your starter(sourdough culture) is very active and bubbling away which means that it has to be fed the night before, there are loads of useful videos on Youtube, my favourite is an Irish baker called Patrick Ryan.
    Baking takes practice and it's the best way to improve patience:Dfeel free to ask any questions.

Reactions: S87 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm not too sure about cooking classes as Youtube has everything you need, in terms of sourdough you have to make sure your starter(sourdough culture) is very active and bubbling away which means that it has to be fed the night before, there are loads of useful videos on Youtube, my favourite is an Irish baker called Patrick Ryan.
    Baking takes practice and it's the best way to improve patience:Dfeel free to ask any questions.
    I’d love to try doing something that involves laminated dough like pastries when I finally have time but think August won’t be so favourable for that!! But I’d LOVE to become a croissant baking master :D

I’m thinking of trying to do a decadent cake for a 50th bday coming up soon so will post about my success or failure in due course!

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
    I’d love to try doing something that involves laminated dough like pastries when I finally have time but think August won’t be so favourable for that!! But I’d LOVE to become a croissant baking master :D

I’m thinking of trying to do a decadent cake for a 50th bday coming up soon so will post about my success or failure in due course!
    Croissant is really intimidating and it has lots of BUTTER:p look up Bigger Bolder Cooking and CupcakeJemma in Youtube, they have so many cake and pastry recipes that makes it hard to pick one:D

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.