International Qualifications/Grades

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey guys,

Anyone here from outside of the UK/EU with experience converting grades on the online application forms?

I am trying to convert Canadian grades and don't know whether to list them individually under "additional info about your degree" with the corresponding UK grade (I have 2 degrees so I think it may be confusing to list modules from my first and second degree under the same heading).

Thanks!

gigi23

Distinguished Member
Jan 18, 2019
Hey there!
I have the same issue as I did a dual degree for my LLB (English law and French Law).
My experience so far has been that for some apps when you list two different degrees you can add modules for each and for others all the undegraduate modules are put together which creates indeed a bit of a confusion. Similarly some firms allow you to enter non percentage grades (French grades are on a scale from 0 to 20) and others don't so I converted my grades… In any case I definitely always make use of the "additional info about your degree" bit to explain the grading system etc. but it could be a good idea to list your Canadian modules there if you're in the situation where otherwise all your modules would be put together under the same heading.

• 🏆
Reactions: Abstruser, Jaysen and v123

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey there!
I have the same issue as I did a dual degree for my LLB (English law and French Law).
My experience so far has been that for some apps when you list two different degrees you can add modules for each and for others all the undegraduate modules are put together which creates indeed a bit of a confusion. Similarly some firms allow you to enter non percentage grades (French grades are on a scale from 0 to 20) and others don't so I converted my grades… In any case I definitely always make use of the "additional info about your degree" bit to explain the grading system etc. but it could be a good idea to list your Canadian modules there if you're in the situation where otherwise all your modules would be put together under the same heading.
Thank you for the helpful tips :) Do you also supply links to websites that explain/support how the grades are converted? Or simply state the conversion?

AzanAshai

TCLA Writer
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 1, 2018
How do you guys add your A-level and GCSE equivalents?

I did an OSSD (Ontario's high school qualification) and was wondering how you split the grades up under those two pages.

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
How do you guys add your A-level and GCSE equivalents?

I did an OSSD (Ontario's high school qualification) and was wondering how you split the grades up under those two pages.
Hi Azan,

I did mine in Ontario as well! I usually don't enter anything under A-levels and below that, there is a section for "A-level equivalents". I select "other" and enter grade 11/12 for A-level equivalents. Under GSCE's I also select "other" and enter my grade 9/10 marks. Then I give a bit more of an explanation in the "additional info" box.

Is this how you have entered yours? Personally, I haven't secured anything so maybe don't take my word but I haven't been able to find anything else.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi Azan,

I did mine in Ontario as well! I usually don't enter anything under A-levels and below that, there is a section for "A-level equivalents". I select "other" and enter grade 11/12 for A-level equivalents. Under GSCE's I also select "other" and enter my grade 9/10 marks. Then I give a bit more of an explanation in the "additional info" box.

Is this how you have entered yours? Personally, I haven't secured anything so maybe don't take my word but I haven't been able to find anything else.

I did Indian GCSE and A-Level equivalents, and I entered my grades in a similar way. I don’t think it should be too much of an issue, as long as you can provide information on grade conversion in the ‘additional infomation’ section.

Reactions: v123

gigi23

Distinguished Member
Jan 18, 2019
Thank you for the helpful tips :) Do you also supply links to websites that explain/support how the grades are converted? Or simply state the conversion?
You're very welcome :)
I simply state the conversion, mainly because I haven't found a good enough webpage to support it… and also because I have other things to put in the box such as the explanation of the honour system etc. and I don't want this section to be too long either o_O

• 🤝
Reactions: v123

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
You're very welcome :)
I simply state the conversion, mainly because I haven't found a good enough webpage to support it… and also because I have other things to put in the box such as the explanation of the honour system etc. and I don't want this section to be too long either o_O
Great, thank you :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.