International Students & Vacation Schemes

• Thread starter Deleted member 2707
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I'm currently a final year law student graduating in 2021. I have been trying to get a TC in the UK but have had no luck in the past 2 years. Due to my country not recognising the LPC but the Bar Qualification, I have opted to take the Bar Course (starting January 2022) so that if I am unable to secure a job in the UK, I can still return to my home country and practice as a lawyer. However, I am still on the hunt for a TC and will be submitting VS/TC apps during the 2021-2022 recruitment cycle. I am just a bit confused as to my eligibility for summer/winter VS and schemes in general as I won't be on holiday during the summer and I technically would have 'graduated' in the winter. Could anyone who has gone through the same process provide any advice?

Further on another note, what is the chances of looking for a paralegal role at the firm instead of a TC and making my way through that route?

Thank you so much!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    You will definitely still be eligible for spring/summer/winter vacs since most firms are happy to take in graduates across all three. Some firms do have a preference for graduates and finalists applying for winter and spring vacs specifically with summer vacs are usually aimed at penultimate year students, but in my experience I've seen graduates do vacs across any of those intakes so in practice I think you'd be alright applying for any of them. TC applications are a bit different and I think firms are more strict about which TC window you apply in as a graduate (like A&O and Freshfields for example). It's best to check directly on the recruitment website for each firm though.

The only issue I foresee with regards to applying for summer vacs is that the Tier 4 visa only lets you do 20 hours of work while studying. So if your your official term time carries on into the summer, you potentially won't be able to legally complete the scheme because of the restriction on full-time work while studying.

With regards to applying for a paralegal role, I think they're actually incredibly difficult to secure, especially if you don't already have a TC offer or have not yet done the LPC. The other thing to remember is just because you are offered a paralegal role with the firm doesn't necessarily mean you stand a better chance at the TC. You'd still have to apply for a TC and go through the normal recruitment process. Personally I think you're better off focusing on VS/TC apps only.

Hope that helps and good luck with the Bar too!

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Agree with Dheepa's points - they may be scarce, but also look out for paralegal roles that have language requirements you can meet. Then firms tend to be less worried about the LPC/future trainee requirements, as the main objective is to find someone with fluency in a language and English.

D

Deleted member 2707

You will definitely still be eligible for spring/summer/winter vacs since most firms are happy to take in graduates across all three. Some firms do have a preference for graduates and finalists applying for winter and spring vacs specifically with summer vacs are usually aimed at penultimate year students, but in my experience I've seen graduates do vacs across any of those intakes so in practice I think you'd be alright applying for any of them. TC applications are a bit different and I think firms are more strict about which TC window you apply in as a graduate (like A&O and Freshfields for example). It's best to check directly on the recruitment website for each firm though.

The only issue I foresee with regards to applying for summer vacs is that the Tier 4 visa only lets you do 20 hours of work while studying. So if your your official term time carries on into the summer, you potentially won't be able to legally complete the scheme because of the restriction on full-time work while studying.

With regards to applying for a paralegal role, I think they're actually incredibly difficult to secure, especially if you don't already have a TC offer or have not yet done the LPC. The other thing to remember is just because you are offered a paralegal role with the firm doesn't necessarily mean you stand a better chance at the TC. You'd still have to apply for a TC and go through the normal recruitment process. Personally I think you're better off focusing on VS/TC apps only.

Hope that helps and good luck with the Bar too!

Hi Dheepa! Thank you for your comprehensive reply. My main concern is the Tier 4 Visa since I wont technically have a summer break- would this mean that the firms will automatically reject me due to these visa considerations. Further since some firms recruit solely from VS, does this mean I would be disadvantaged??

With regards to the paralegal route, thank you for the insight! I'll try focusing my attention on TC/VS then :)

D

Deleted member 2707

Agree with Dheepa's points - they may be scarce, but also look out for paralegal roles that have language requirements you can meet. Then firms tend to be less worried about the LPC/future trainee requirements, as the main objective is to find someone with fluency in a language and English.
    Thank you Jessica! I'll look into roles with language requirements- I have quite a few under my belt :)

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi Dheepa! Thank you for your comprehensive reply. My main concern is the Tier 4 Visa since I wont technically have a summer break- would this mean that the firms will automatically reject me due to these visa considerations. Further since some firms recruit solely from VS, does this mean I would be disadvantaged??

With regards to the paralegal route, thank you for the insight! I'll try focusing my attention on TC/VS then :)
    If you are still in full term time during the time summer VSs are happening you would not be able to legally work more than 20 hours a week and so would not be able to undertake vacation schemes. And yes this would disadvantage you when it comes to firms that largely or only recruit from vacation schemes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You don't have to be on a break, you just have to be outside of term time. Therefore if your term finishes in June/July, and your visa lasts until Sept/Oct, you could work in between those dates.

You could also apply for the post-graduate visa which would give you up to two years of working in the UK from your end of term date.

Reactions: Dheepa

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I know this may be a long shot, but on the point of the 20 hours per week time limit, have you ever come across a case wherein an international student has been able to secure something like a waiver letter from their university (their Tier 4 visa sponsor), which allows them to work more than the 20 hours if the vacation scheme overlaps both term time and holiday time?

Would a student be able to get something of that sort if the vacation scheme is in very close proximity to the end of term/near holiday time on the calendar?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I know this may be a long shot, but on the point of the 20 hours per week time limit, have you ever come across a case wherein an international student has been able to secure something like a waiver letter from their university (their Tier 4 visa sponsor), which allows them to work more than the 20 hours if the vacation scheme overlaps both term time and holiday time?

Would a student be able to get something of that sort if the vacation scheme is in very close proximity to the end of term/near holiday time on the calendar?
    Many years ago I know a couple of universities who did it. But then the BA started to crack down on students working during term time and at one point revoked two institutions abilities to get visas for their students. Since then I know a lot of universities just won’t do it for fear of any risk of a fine or worse, their right to get student visa being revoked. The only way I have heard unis getting around it now is proving it is some form of academic requirement for the course.

sandralai

Standard Member
    Oct 14, 2021
    Hi. Thank you very much for everyone's insights. Adding onto the topic, I am an international student on Tier 4 Visa. Does the term break count as "outside" term time (such that London winter vacation schemes are actually out of the question for international students)?

I understand that the winter vacation scheme deadlines are fast approaching (with some more coming for spring/summer vacation schemes). In this case, should I aim to quickly make inquiries to all firms as to whether they are willing to sponsor visas for (1) vacation schemes; and (2) training contracts before I make any applications, so that I don't waste time drafting applications? I do realise that some firms have Q&As already covering the issue (e.g. Freshfields) but very often firms have avoided talking about visa altogether.

Many thanks once again!

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi. Thank you very much for everyone's insights. Adding onto the topic, I am an international student on Tier 4 Visa. Does the term break count as "outside" term time (such that London winter vacation schemes are actually out of the question for international students)?

I understand that the winter vacation scheme deadlines are fast approaching (with some more coming for spring/summer vacation schemes). In this case, should I aim to quickly make inquiries to all firms as to whether they are willing to sponsor visas for (1) vacation schemes; and (2) training contracts before I make any applications, so that I don't waste time drafting applications? I do realise that some firms have Q&As already covering the issue (e.g. Freshfields) but very often firms have avoided talking about visa altogether.

Many thanks once again!
    Hi Sandra, from what I understand:
    1. Firms will not sponsor visas for vacation schemes and as such you will need to apply for schemes that fall outside your term time (ie: lessons are no longer being conducted and you are officially on vacation). This will vary according to each university but from my experience university holidays often started around the second week of December.
    2. Yes, I cannot stress the importance of emailing the firms to double confirm that they sponsor work visas. More often than not, major firms will sponsor your visa but it is better to be safe than sorry. From my experience most firms are very forthright with their visa policies so it shouldn't be too hard to weed out the firms that don't sponsor.
    Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Many thanks once again!
    Firms won’t sponsor visas for vacation schemes. The cost and process alone would be more than the scheme itself.

Interestingly the law makes it somewhat difficult to ask candidates about their work permit status, which is why many firms don’t ask.

Firms won’t sponsor visas for vacation schemes. The cost and process alone would be more than the scheme itself.

Interestingly the law makes it somewhat difficult to ask candidates about their work permit status, which is why many firms don’t ask.
    Hi Jessica, thank you for your guidance so far!

If we made it clear on our VS application that we require a work permit to work in the UK and do not currently hold one, and were still invited to interview, is it safe to assume that the firm is willing to undergo this process? Or would they be expecting an applicant to cover this cost themselves?

Furthermore, is it likely these logistics will come up in the interview? Should we have a clear answer to which visa we are eligible to apply under, if we're willing to cover the cost, etc.?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thank you for your guidance so far!

If we made it clear on our VS application that we require a work permit to work in the UK and do not currently hold one, and were still invited to interview, is it safe to assume that the firm is willing to undergo this process? Or would they be expecting an applicant to cover this cost themselves?

Furthermore, is it likely these logistics will come up in the interview? Should we have a clear answer to which visa we are eligible to apply under, if we're willing to cover the cost, etc.?
    If you know you can apply for a visa of your own accord, then you should mention this in your application for clarity.

In 99% of cases a firm won't cover the costs of a visa - in total it will be about £3-5k worth of costs. And that doesn't make sense for an intern that will only be there for a couple of weeks. If a firm invites you to interview, it is probably worthwhile clarifying at the point you confirm your attendance a the interview whether rey would go through the process of obtaining the visa for you or whether you would need to.

Be mindful that with some visas, you can't pay for the costs - the employer has to. So it is worthwhile researching visas so you have clarity on what you can do.

If you know you can apply for a visa of your own accord, then you should mention this in your application for clarity.

In 99% of cases a firm won't cover the costs of a visa - in total it will be about £3-5k worth of costs. And that doesn't make sense for an intern that will only be there for a couple of weeks. If a firm invites you to interview, it is probably worthwhile clarifying at the point you confirm your attendance a the interview whether rey would go through the process of obtaining the visa for you or whether you would need to.

Be mindful that with some visas, you can't pay for the costs - the employer has to. So it is worthwhile researching visas so you have clarity on what you can do.
    Thank you, this is very informative - I have a Winter VS interview in the coming days and will be sure to incorporate visa research into my preparation.

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021

Hey @Jessica Booker and @AvniD - I just got offered a vac scheme with a firm that recruits only through vac schemes. Their conversion rate is pretty high as well. I had disclosed in my form that i am an international student not studying in UK and need sponsorship. I was still progressed through the stages. In my partner interview too I had said I dont study in the UK and am not from here as well. i still got the vacation scheme offer. I have emailed the grad rec now about how do work rights pan out but it's a weekend now. Very stressed and thinking what to do now. Any clue what can be done and if I have the scope to participate at all?

intllawstudent

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 3, 2021
    Hey @Jessica Booker and @AvniD - I just got offered a vac scheme with a firm that recruits only through vac schemes. Their conversion rate is pretty high as well. I had disclosed in my form that i am an international student not studying in UK and need sponsorship. I was still progressed through the stages. In my partner interview too I had said I dont study in the UK and am not from here as well. i still got the vacation scheme offer. I have emailed the grad rec now about how do work rights pan out but it's a weekend now. Very stressed and thinking what to do now. Any clue what can be done and if I have the scope to participate at all?
    Hi - mind if I ask if that is a US firm or UK national firm? Asking as people have said that trainee intake and firm type do matter
    Would be really great to hear from you!
    Re visa, will you have any plans to go on a short study programme in the UK? As far as I know, and firms have confirmed, if you are on a Tier 4 study visa and your vacation scheme is outside term time, working in a vacscheme is fine!

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Hi - mind if I ask if that is a US firm or UK national firm? Asking as people have said that trainee intake and firm type do matter
    Would be really great to hear from you!
    Re visa, will you have any plans to go on a short study programme in the UK? As far as I know, and firms have confirmed, if you are on a Tier 4 study visa and your vacation scheme is outside term time, working in a vacscheme is fine!
    hey its a UK international firm. No plans to go on a study program right now so very confusing spot this is :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have you looked into the possibility of whether you can secure your own visa? Sometimes there are things like youth mobility visas you can apply for (depending on your home country).

The firm may sponsor visa for a vacation scheme. It’s not completely unknown and especially could be the case if they are keen to recruit people from your home country.

I am sure graduate recruitment will come back to you soon. Try not to worry about it until then. The only thing you can really do is see if there is a visa you can apply to, rather than the firm sponsoring.

This is one the easiest visas to get to work in the U.K.: https://www.gov.uk/youth-mobility/eligibility

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.