Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Hi, Is it worth me emailing TLT about my spring scheme? Nothing has been said about it being cancelled but Is it worth asking for an update? :)
I'm worried about my own Spring scheme too but I'm resisting emailing because I don't want to add to the panic. If they make any decisions about it we will be the first to know.

Reactions: Jen E C

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hi, Is it worth me emailing TLT about my spring scheme? Nothing has been said about it being cancelled but Is it worth asking for an update? :)

i would leave it. The only answer you’re likely to get is that they will let you know as soon as they have decided if it’s going to go ahead or not. Mine hasn’t been cancelled yet either, but realistically Boris Johnson just said to not go into work if you can work from home so I’m 99% certain no spring schemes will go ahead (at least not in London)

Reactions: Demna87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jaysen what are your predictions as to when you think those spring schemes (open day/vac schemes) will be open again? May? Or too early in your opinion?

Unlikely to be May given that will be exam/assessment season for many.

Some might squeeze them in early/mid June (just before their summer schemes start), some may look to run them in July/early August, or September instead.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i would leave it. The only answer you’re likely to get is that they will let you know as soon as they have decided if it’s going to go ahead or not. Mine hasn’t been cancelled yet either, but realistically Boris Johnson just said to not go into work if you can work from home so I’m 99% certain no spring schemes will go ahead (at least not in London)

Also will be highly dependent on when your scheme is.

Those that start in the next two weeks are more likely to be cancelled and sooner. Those that will happen mid-April are probably hoping things change by then, or won't cancel them until close to the time.

Its a bit like my flights - I am not flying out until 13 April, but I am unlikely to know what is happening with my flight until a week or so before I go (or don't as the case may actually be) :(

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Also will be highly dependent on when your scheme is.

Those that start in the next two weeks are more likely to be cancelled and sooner. Those that will happen mid-April are probably hoping things change by then, or won't cancel them until close to the time.

Its a bit like my flights - I am not flying out until 13 April, but I am unlikely to know what is happening with my flight until a week or so before I go (or don't as the case may actually be) :(

very good point! Mine starts on the 30.03. which at this rate will be when things start to get really ugly, so definitely worth adding that the sooner the less likely it is that the scheme will go ahead. Will keep my fingers crossed for you with your flight!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Trowers & Hamlins vacation scheme assessment days have been cancelled. We have not been updated yet about what alternative assessments they are going to be providing.

Think someone in their team is pregnant (they are currently advertising a maternity leave for the grad rec team) so this doesn't surprise me with the new advice from the government. They probably won't have an update until the new person is recruited!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Latham & Watkins Spring Scheme cancelled.

I'd make a bold assumption, given the amount of cancellations, that it's gonna be unlikely to see any go ahead.

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Latham & Watkins Spring Scheme cancelled.

I'd make a bold assumption, given the amount of cancellations, that it's gonna be unlikely to see any go ahead.
I agree, I was hoping I would get to do it but yesterday the advice changed quite a bit and things seem to be moving more quickly.

Did Latham offer you an alternative?

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
@Jessica Booker

assuming that the situation continues like this for the next 2-3m, threatening summer vac schemes as well, do you think there is any chance that law firms that recruit only from VS will shift their schemers to TC ACs? Or would they prefer to either postpone even more or cancel and look to recruit with the same system next year? Thanks!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Honestly, I would say it is really too soon to say re. spring and summer schemes. I appreciate why you ask because I too would be really anxious and would like some peace of mind. What I absolutely will say is that firms will be also really disappointed if schemes are being postponed. Grad rec work so hard doing all the events and ACs leading up to them and the vacs themselves are their chance (and the rest of the firm) to see you all come in and enjoy the firm as potential future trainees. I am absolutely sure they will all give you an update as soon as possible but with the nature of law firms as businesses, there are a lot of people to consult with and contingency planning that needs to happen first. Just have faith that things are being postponed and not written off and as hopeless as it is, just try to sit tight. I really do empathise with every single one of you because it really is so difficult and I really understand the temptation to reach out for clarity.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

assuming that the situation continues like this for the next 2-3m, threatening summer vac schemes as well, do you think there is any chance that law firms that recruit only from VS will shift their schemers to TC ACs? Or would they prefer to either postpone even more or cancel and look to recruit with the same system next year? Thanks!

There isn't going to be a one size fits all approach to this.
  • Some will postpone further (maybe running summer internships in August or Sept)
  • Some may choose to do winter schemes for the first time
  • Some may choose to just do direct TC hiring in August/September
  • Some may choose to defer for a whole year

Reactions: J32 and Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.